General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How do you switch to Synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
contradictum is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you switch to Synthetic?

I've searched and got mixed answers in a variety of threads.

So when I switch to synthetic, do I need to flush the engine?

Some people say its okay not to. Well, i'm looking for a more scientific answer if anyone's got it. I just heard that something about the molecules of synthetic versus dino are waay different and they end up mixing with each other and getting all gooey... or something..

anybody have a solid answer on this topic?
Old 02-05-2004
Registered!!

Kloverz has a little shameless behaviour in the past
to switch to synthetic just flush out ur old oil just like changing regular oil but i warn you it depend how many mi you have on ur car.
Old 02-06-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
Kloverz...dude...speak english.

To switch to synthetic, change your oil with synthetic, drive for 100 or so miles, and change it again with fresh synthetic. Thats it.
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

slappyhoohah will become famous soon enough
i heard if you switch to synthetic you cant go back to regular... is that true?
Old 02-06-2004
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
^^ no...just follow the same flush but in reverse. Regular, 100 miles, drain, more regular.
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
Flushing isn't necessary, you can mix synthetic and regular oil should you choose as kinda a oil cocktail, go to amsoils website and read some of their tech articles. They do reccomend switching over reltively early in your engines life though.
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
From Mobil1's web site. http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

Myths about Synthetics:

1. You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1.

You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

* Chevrolet Corvette
* All Porsche vehicles
* Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
* Dodge Viper
* Ford Mustang Cobra R
* All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

2. Using Mobil 1 will void my new-car warranty.

With the exception of the Mazda rotary engine (Mazda does not recommend any synthetic motor oils), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will not void new-car warranties. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ exceeds the API and ILSAC motor oil service requirements of all new-car manufacturers, both import and domestic. If in doubt, always check your vehicle owner's manual or contact your vehicle's manufacturer.

3. You don't have to change the oil as often when using Mobil 1.

While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, ExxonMobil prefers to remain conservative with oil drain recommendations. ExxonMobil engineers recommend that you can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time frame shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to cover unusual or unexpected driving conditions.

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™'s high-performance reserves can give you the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

4. I need to flush my engine before switching to Mobil 1.

No special preparation is necessary when switching from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™.

5. Mobil 1 requires a special oil filter.

While ExxonMobil recommends that you use a high-quality filter, you can use the same type of oil filter that you would normally use with conventional oil. ExxonMobil does offer a very high-quality oil filter that is a perfect companion to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. The Mobil 1 High Efficiency Oil Filter contains synthetic fibers instead of the typical cellulose filter media. With a 95-percent efficiency rating (under SAE J806 tests for capacity and contamination removal), the Mobil 1 filter is much more efficient than a typical oil filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter. In addition, the synthetic fibers in the Mobil 1 filter have less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.

6. Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.

Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.
Old 02-06-2004
SMX
Registered!!

SMX is on a distinguished road
Yep, drain dino, fill with synth. That's it.
Old 02-06-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i rated ur post bellz....pretty good damn info
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
gracias!
Old 02-06-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
Originally posted by SMX
Yep, drain dino, fill with synth. That's it.

fo sho
Old 02-06-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
yeah a lot of people have made a big deal about switching to syn or switching back. Oil is oil. It won't kill your car, unless you put too high or too low of a weight in. With all the new technologies, the engines just need something to lubricate it. And there are varying degrees at which that happens, but as long as it happens you should have a decently running engine.
Old 02-06-2004
Registered!!

trashguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Lol....

I just drained whatever hell OIL was in my SR form Japan... then poored in the redline... works fine ;-D

Oil is Oil... Synthetic wears different and is man made (Save a dinosaur). After a few times of changing oil the the regualr oil will be cycled out. No worries.