General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

removing trim pieces?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003
Bodacious Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question removing trim pieces?

I just got myself a can of red spray paint to match my exterior...now my plan is to take off all those little trim pieces on the interior and paint them red. I think that'll look really good with the black interior. Anyways, I don't have the maintinence/service manual, so is there anywhere I can go to know how to take them off? Also, where would I find a service manual or something else that tells me how to disassemble most of the car? Chilton's makes them for a lot of cars, but not for the 2k1 and up civic. Thanks
Old 09-14-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
There's a DIY on painting trim pieces in here i think if you havne't looked in the Diy's, but i got a friend to do mine !!! Check my ride if ya want!!
Old 09-14-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
http://www.7thgencivic.com/modules.p...howpage&pid=29
here it is for center console.
air vents just pops out. just give a good pull
Old 09-14-2003
Bodacious Member

ahh thanks. What about the trim pieces in the doors? Like the piece around the lever you pull on to release the door, and the part with the window controls...
Old 09-14-2003
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
there is a little plastic plate in there, u have to use a flathead screwdriver to pop it out, but be careful not to scratch anything, then there is a small screw behind that one. It is basically common sense, just look at it and take ur time. Our cars come apart very easliy. They are mainly clips and screws.
Old 09-14-2003
Bodacious Member

ok. about the vents...I want to paint just the surrounding, not the part that swivels. civicvtec1ps said just to pull...Im not really comfortable with not breaking it, are you sure thats it? The guy who had the car before me messed up the center console panel because the guy he asked just said to pull.
Old 09-15-2003
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
they don't come out by pulling, u have to stick a flathead screwdriver in behind the vent and gently pry it out. I put a piece of paper towel over the screwdriver so i didnt' tear my vinly. The same goes for the center console and for the plate behind the head unit.
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

twizzx is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by civic01vtec
they don't come out by pulling, u have to stick a flathead screwdriver in behind the vent and gently pry it out. I put a piece of paper towel over the screwdriver so i didnt' tear my vinly. The same goes for the center console and for the plate behind the head unit.
Trust me, you don't need a flathead screwdriver to get the vents out. Just get a good grip and pull. If you are getting the center console out for the first time (after first time, you don't have to use as much effort because everytime you pull it out it makes the clips weaker) you will need something flat. I recommed using a credit card that you don't need or another card as strong. Slide it in and get a good separation. Just pull behind the card and you should get at least one clip out. Then push the metal bar from back and use the combination back and forth until the center console pops out. I think the center console is the hardest to get out for the first time, although the gauge bezel trim piece is hard too.
Old 09-15-2003
Bodacious Member

oh, i forgot about the gauge trim piece. How does it come out?
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

Lvl7Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by jwalker87
oh, i forgot about the gauge trim piece. How does it come out?
im curious about this too cuz im trying to change the color of the gauges. i un-screwed the two screws on the top but the piece wont slide out easy like my friends 99 civic hatch. does it have some of the evil clips underneath or something?
Old 09-30-2003
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
^^^just pull hard guys.
Old 10-01-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Behind the steering wheel there is two plastic panels that wrap around the steering wheel column. If you unscrew and take those two pieces off, then pulling the gauge cluster bezel piece out is cake. It's the top piece behind the steering wheel that is blocking the bottom of the gauge cluster bezel piece from pulling out. The glue isn't even all that strong.
Old 10-01-2003
Bodacious Member

also tilt the steering wheel down...gotta apply come common sense here guys
Old 10-02-2003
Registered!!

heres my issue.... am i pulling up or back towards me?
i m sorry but im just really affraid to break something... i love my car

edit : also... where can i get a good grip :-p the sh#t is soooo slippery
Old 10-02-2003
Registered!!

i figured it out this morning just before work....i pulled the whole ac/radio piece out and saw where one of the clips was.

instead of pulling with ur hands, a better way is to get a really long screwdriver or something else you can find thats long and thin and slide it from behind the steering wheel area towards the back window. required minimal force. i currently have the whole gauge thingy here in front of me :-p

now i just gotta figure out how to change the color that the numbers glow