General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

ACT Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMsicvic is an unknown quantity at this point
ACT Clutch Problem

Hey guys wats up......i got a problem...i orderd an ACT heavy duty clutch..and when i got it i installed it myself..and when all was done my clutch would always engage and never disingage (sp) is there any way to adjust the clutch? like ex..bleeding it? i know its an hyd. clutch and all...or is there somethign that has to be do ne to the fork? please help...my cars sitting in pieces lol....well thanx a lot...peace.. Tristan..
Old 07-23-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
OMG, your name is Tristan? SO IS MINE!! what a small world.

Sorry but I have no idea what installing a clutch entails.
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

wats up

you know CDMEX? he was talkign to me about you..i got the same car like you do but w/ more mods...we should meet up or something...i got the silver civic EX 5 speed , shaved front license plate, HID's, TYC projections, CF hood VIS. ACT cluth and 10lb flywheel, headers, aem cai intake, internals redone, gas, torinos, triple gauge pod, greddy evo exhaust, dc lower tie down, altezza grill, GC coils....looking for struts since my drivers side is busted, and um some other crap i dont remember....but my cell is 704 9078528 if you wanna meet up or wat now..or talk to me on AOL treez02civic....but peace..
Old 07-23-2003
Registered!!

VTECnique is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm, never disengage? u mean it would never let off the flywheel so u can shift? if its that (and i hope you had a manual while you were installing it) it might be a linkage problem. try adjusting it a little. I don't know that much about cable/hydraulic clutches, but thats the only thing i can think of...
Old 07-24-2003
Passin' You On 19's.....!

futurersxswap is an unknown quantity at this point
how much are you guys paying for these ACT's? and where are you buyin them from, I cant find a specific listing on ANY sites for us, i've heard 6thgen SOHC clutches work, but IDK... also, where can I get a flywheel???
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

ASWZero is an unknown quantity at this point
I do not remember, but there is a cable that connectst to the tranny that can be adjusted. I think the if you rip out the carpet, you can adjust it at the pedal. I want to install the clutch myself too, but is the tranny cover heavy?
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

no the tranny isnt heavy at all..i just slid it to the side and put the clutch and flywheel in..
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

CIVIC808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by futurersxswap
how much are you guys paying for these ACT's? and where are you buyin them from, I cant find a specific listing on ANY sites for us, i've heard 6thgen SOHC clutches work, but IDK... also, where can I get a flywheel???
i just ordered mines from ptuning, its about $350.thats the heavy duty pressure plate and organic street disk.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by JDMsicvic
no the tranny isnt heavy at all..i just slid it to the side and put the clutch and flywheel in..
did you take off the subframe? i remember someone saying they didnt have too and what they did was unbolt it and move it over to the side just enough to clear the clutch that was to be removed.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

yeah thats exactly wat i did..i just moved it to the side..and tied it down w/ some wire so it wouldnt move.....but its not that heavy at all..i was surprised....but good luck...i would also recommend a 10lbs flywheel...cus any lighter is just plain stupid...you will be really happy w/ it...
Old 07-24-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by ASWZero
I do not remember, but there is a cable that connectst to the tranny that can be adjusted. I think the if you rip out the carpet, you can adjust it at the pedal. I want to install the clutch myself too, but is the tranny cover heavy?
It's a hydro clutch. There's no cable to adjust.
Hmm... check the linkage and make sure the throwout bearing assembly is all connected right. Either that or bleed the clutch line. If you got air in it, then you can hit the pedal all damn day and it'll stay engaged.
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

you think its possible the throw out bearing given was the wrong size?
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

didnt you match it with the stock one?
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

yeah it was kinda off.....could that be it? i think it was a lil bit larger
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

2k2vtecEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by JDMsicvic
yeah thats exactly wat i did..i just moved it to the side..and tied it down w/ some wire so it wouldnt move.....but its not that heavy at all..i was surprised....but good luck...i would also recommend a 10lbs flywheel...cus any lighter is just plain stupid...you will be really happy w/ it...
i put the act clutch and 8.2 lb flywheel in and its great i love it
Old 07-25-2003

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
I have the ACT Heavy duty pressure plate and organic disk. I love it. No slippage at all. Everything is precise.

As far as engaging but never disengaging, maybe you need to bleed the line. The fork releases when there isn't pressure in the slave cylinder to move the pushrod. If there is constant pressure, it won't disengage. Other than that, the only other cause I can think of is the throwout bearing (which is more probable).
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

yeah i sent teh clutch back to ACT and they will make sure everythign is correct...but i will get it back probably wends.....but i dunno wat the problem is...;.
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

Maverick is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Extreme Street and Xact ProLite flywheel...I was going to take it to someone and have it done because I heard this was tricky...but sounds like a couple of you did your own...up til this I've done everything myself, but was a lil unsure about a clutch and flywheel...anybody near maryland wanna gimme a hand or some advice and maybe i'll tackle it...then all i gotta do is slap the turbo on when sf power finally gets that ish in the mail
Old 07-26-2003

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
For the hassle it takes to do transmission work, it's worth the money to just get it done. That's my opinion though. I did it once on my old car, and will never do it again (unless I have a lift) It only cost me $250 to get it done anyway. Plus they can do the job in half the time, and warranty the work.

I hear the Xtreme kit has a little rough engagement and isn't the best choice for a daily driver. That's just what I heard. ACT recommended the HD kit and organic disk for N2O or Turbo.
Old 07-26-2003
Registered!!

yeah do you guys think i should go a head and upgrade the clutch if i am goign to be spraying gas? like a 50 shot? i mean eventually like in a year or 2 i am goign to get a k20a j-spec and try to turbo it and put like 20shot or 35 shot spool up...