General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Painting Trim... Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
Painting Trim... Need Help

alright, i have gotten the trim piece around the HU/ac controls and the two vent pieces (i bought the optional trim kit from honda when i got the car)... i got those off and have them painted... my question is how do i get the trim ring around the manual shifter (oval piece) off, is it applied with double sided sticky tape as the trim pieces on the dash are, i don't want to break it, it looks pretty thin... and my next problem is that on the door armrests (where the window controls are) is painted silver from the factory there are no pieces that are stuck on with double sided sticky tape, the actual piece surrounding the wondow controls is painted silver... i also want to paint this, can i take that piece off, if so how? does it require removal of the door panel and then unbolting the arm rest then disassembling the armrest further? i am not painting it stock silver so its gonna look kind of funny with everything but that the same color... thanks in advance o, by the way my car is an 01' ex coupe if that matters

Last edited by PopcornPlaya; 07-03-2003 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

tcostello3 is an unknown quantity at this point
The whole panel (including trim ring) around the shifter pops off with little force. Take your shift **** off first! Then flip it over and there should be screws mounting the trim ring to the panel. to try to pull the ring itself off..I broke my 1st one!
Old 07-03-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
alright... thanks, what about the door armrests?
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

Uhm...The rubbery feeling part pops off anf the there are screws visible..been awhile since i've had the door panels off...Pop the tweeter pod 1st it goes much easier that way!
Old 07-03-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

ok, i tried what you said with the gear shifter trim panel, i got the rear piece off (the one that goes around the e-brake) and i am trying to pop off the piece around the gear shift but i can seem to get it off of there... i saw 2 screws down in the bottom, kind of under the piece, and i removed them,the piece still won't come out... here is what the piece i am trying to remove looks like...
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

yeah..the fronts tighter than the back. Just work around slowly with a small flathead(i use a real panel puller) and the clips will give! I think theres like 6 clips total in that piece maybe 8!
Old 07-03-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

ok, i take it the boot comes over the shifter after disengaging the clips... also, can i paint the ring that is below the shifter that holds the boot? or will i mess the shift boot up by removing it?
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

Should be able to remove the ring by removing the small screws on the underside. The you can set the boot aside and paint the plast pieces. While you're in there you should install a Neuspeed Short Shift Kit
Old 07-03-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

alright, after a gruesome cussing and pulling session, i have determined that this piece also has 2 screws on the bottom of the piece that must be removed in order to get the piece out... any advice on what to use in order to unscrew them so i can actually take the above pictures piece out?
Old 07-03-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

i cant seem to get the clips to let go either... i cant even find any clips on it, just those 2 screws... i ram a flat head screw driver all around the gap between the piece and the rest of the console...
Old 07-03-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

ok, i edited the pic, imagine if you will, you are looking down into the hole after taking the piece off around the e-brake (i know thats not exactly what it looks like, but it's close enough) i removed the 2 screws i put in the pic... there also seems to be 2 under the piece i am trying to remove, are there 4 screws total that has to be removed to take the piece off?
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

i WISH SOMEONE ELSE WOULD CHIME IN HERE. my '03 that piece pops out, the 2 screws way down there are for getting the WHOLE center console out!
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

OmegaStauf is an unknown quantity at this point
I had to remove the entire center console to get the piece around the shifter off... the screws that hold it on are underneath the plate. There are also two screws in the back of the console on the sides and two tabs up front.
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

OmegaStauf is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a DIY on another page... this explains it well.
Old 07-03-2003
Registered!!

Thanks for helpin' out here! Hope I did'nt lead you down any wrong path there PopcornPlaya.
Old 07-03-2003
Electric Boogaloo...

thanks folks... now that i am off work, i can get back to work on something a little more important...