Hybrid Engine/IMA battery system The hybrid have a very different engine and Battery system (IMA), so this forum is for items related to the Hybrid cars alone. If they are same as the regular cars, please post there instead.

What kind of CVT rebuild do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cfahamilton is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of CVT rebuild do I need?

I recently bought a 2005 Civic Hybrid with a CVT. The transmission fluid cooling loop in the radiator had failed causing the CVT fluid to be pumped into the coolant. The PO had stopped driving it about 75 miles after the CVT started making a lot of noise. I am not sure how long it had been driven with low or absent trans fluid. There was also evidence that someone had earlier put regular ATF in it instead of CVT fluid. I paid scrap value for it but I would like to fix it if possible.

I need to know what parts of the transmission are likely damaged and need to be replaced during a rebuild.

Relevant facts:

- The engine runs great.
- The car drove normally but seemed a little laggy before I realized it needed CVT fluid.
- After I refilled the CVT fluid it seemed to "shift" better. (i.e. progressed though speeds more smoothly with less lag.)
- Whenever the car is in gear, it makes a fairly loud noise. It seems a cross between a whine and a grind. (Does not make the noise idling in Park or Neutral.)
- The noise is present even if the car is not moving. (e.g. in D or R with foot on brake.)
- Refilling the CVT fluid did not get rid of the noise nor was it noticeably quieter.
- There doesn't seem to be any coolant in the transmission (Drove it only a few miles after refilling then checked the CVT dipstick.)

I know I need to replace the radiator and flush/clean the coolant system first. After I do that, I will flush and fill the CVT fluid and verify there are no more leaks.
Then...

If I drive it and just put up with the noise, am I risking catastrophic failure?
If I rebuild the transmission how do I know the problem will be solved? (The rebuild kits I see are mostly gaskets and seals with some having friction materials. None had bearings.)

Anyone with experience rebuilding CVTs have an opinion on what might be the noisy/damaged part(s)?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 03-27-2021
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CivicHybrid03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What kind of CVT rebuild do I need?

I know - old thread. Just wondering if you ever resolved this?