Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

body kit?

Old 08-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dbsk8r1212 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation body kit?

Ok this is dumb but since a body kit is like fiberglass can you get a bumper that looks like one that wont have as easy of a chance at ripping off if u barely hit it on a curb or somethin?
Jw cause I just started drivin a stick shift so I need somethin that won't rip off on accident nd all... soo yea.
Old 08-28-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang
Re: body kit?

The people that carry an weight here, along with most of those that don't, do not like body kits. The general census is that a nice clean civic is the way to go. If you want a body kit then fine, just keep it clean and don't go with anything crazy. But I will be the first to suggest a lip kit.

Now to answer your question. Do not get fiberglass, that is what will break.
Old 08-28-2007
Registered!!

Civic_Driver will become famous soon enoughCivic_Driver will become famous soon enough

yeah i also recommend that you buy a lip kit.. gives it a sleek stockish/bodykitish look to the car:P
Old 08-29-2007
A long winded 7th genr

Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbsk8r1212
Ok this is dumb but since a body kit is like fiberglass can you get a bumper that looks like one that wont have as easy of a chance at ripping off if u barely hit it on a curb or somethin?
Jw cause I just started drivin a stick shift so I need somethin that won't rip off on accident nd all... soo yea.

Not too sure what you mean not rip off? If you get into a bad enough accident, parts will rip off.

I think I'm going to take this chance to make a write up about the differences between types of body kits.
You have two options for body kits, you can probably find the information I'm about to tell you by searching, but I'm not sure.

Option one: Fiberglass body kit.
Fiberglass body kits are made of fiberglass fabrics and assorted epoxy resins. If you get into a small fender bender with something or someone, chances are the fiberglass will crack and the paint will chip. This will not always happen depending on the severity of the accident, and the tensile strength of the materials used to construct the kit. Although, normally if you get in an accident, things will break regardless. It is more difficult to fit a fiberglass bumper then other things, but it is pretty easy to repair or fix when it does crack and chip, just add more fiberglass and resin....among other things.

Option two:Urethane body kit.
Urethane body kits are made of a special formula of rubber and plastic. These kits fit easier because they bend and are more flexible but that really depends on the manufacturer. If you get into an fender bender, the kit will most likely flex and bend. In some cases, the paint will bend with the bumper avoiding having to repaint it if it becomes damaged. The only downside to urethane is that if you were to get into a collision of some sort and that makes a hole in the bumper, you can't repair it. You would need to get a whole new bumper. Well, that's not 100 percent true, but generally speaking, as well as insurance claims won't re-use urethane bumpers with holes in them. You could repair it with fiberglass, but that would make the repair rigid and susceptible to cracking and whatnot. So there are pros and cons.

Third option: Dura-Flex Body kit
Extreme dimensions offers a Dura-Flex body kit that uses fiberglass cloth along with epoxy resins and polyurethane resins (not 100 percent sure.) It has some of the good in both, it's more flexible then straight fiberglass, but has better repair properties then urethane. You can find out more at www.extremedimensions.com This is what I have, and I like it. Traditional fiberglass seems to be brittle, but this is definitely better.

Two things you should know about body mods, if you get a kit, it'll change the look of the car completely if you get a lip kit, it'll add to, or accentuate the lines of the car. So the choice is up to you. I say get the kit. I personally like how it makes the car lower.