Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

denso has "long life" iridium plug for 7thgens

Old 10-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
denso has "long life" iridium plug for 7thgens

i noticed they finally came up with a longer life version of the popular IK20 iridiums which alot of us run. The old ones are rated to last 30k miles under normal driving conditions. the new plug is a longer life version that uses platinum on the ground electrode. price is the same, part number changed from IK20 to SKJ20CR-A8 and is available at sparkplugs.com. im guessing the new version should last around 40-50k miles, maybe longer.
Old 10-25-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staninator is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: denso has "long life" iridium plug for 7thgens

Yay I need to get on this. No gapping right?
Old 10-25-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no gapping for iridiums correct. ive had my original iridiums for 2 yrs, im gonna get the long life version pretty soon.
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
no gapping for iridiums correct. ive had my original iridiums for 2 yrs, im gonna get the long life version pretty soon.

Yes GB, I saw that when I was doing my research for my plugs upgrade. About the gap, did you check the specs on the left side of the screen for the "SKJ20CR-A8" that applies to our Civics. It's 0.8mm gap. I wounder if that difference comparing to the 0.4m (since we shouldn't mess with the iridium tip), having that big gap clearance will affect something.

If that is not an issue, I'd love to have the best of both worlds in one plug. Performance of iridium + durability of platinum.

Any input of this? did anybody replaced the standard denso iridium with the "new" long lasting version?

FC.-
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point

Correction: according to sparkplugs.com the gap for the SKJ20CR-A8 is .032" (0.8mm)
... when the stocks plugs are 0.44" (1.1mm)

then, the long life Denso Iridium (SKJ20CR-A8) are actually smaller in gap.

Heynes manual recommendation is .039" to .043" (1.0 to 1.1mm)

so with the Long Life Denso (SKJ20CR-A8) we are a bit smaller in clearance comparing to stock. Now, I wonder if the engine will run like crap or due to the iridium it will be compensated and will run without issues. I'll be happy if the run 50 to 60k.

Old 04-21-2010
Premium Member

i ended up getting the IK20 performance iridium again because the long life version does not have the ultra small electrode (which is the whole reason for having iridium plug). the IK20 do have 0.04(4) gap i verified very carefully. measured a 0.04 but the tool could have been pushed a tiny bit more, i just didnt feel like breaking the tips off. i would stick with performance iridium over the long lifes.
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

yeah it has a larger tip i thought you knew that ???
Old 04-21-2010
Premium Member

when i made the first post, i did not know. just thought they threw in a platinum ground electrode and kept the center electrode the same size. but later realized iridium center is bigger.
Old 04-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

lol i didn't realise how old this thread was. nice noob job.