Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Recommendation for Brakes

Old 09-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ktheta20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommendation for Brakes

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX Manual. My original brakes lasted till about 95k. I had my brakes serviced twice at Midas since then and now at 135k miles I am hearing severe grinding, vibrating when braking about 60 mph, and the braking is choppy. Honda is quoting around $480 for replacing pads, shoes, rotors. Pep boy is around $225 or so. Is it worth going to Honda? Any other recommendations?
Old 09-24-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recommendation for Brakes

yeah its worth going to honda. most of those crappy shops use the worst quality pads and rotors which always cause problem. im even using brembo rotor and it sucks much worse than stock. im never using anything but oem rotors. the oem pads are good too, but a good quality aftermarket pad like hawk hps should be fine too. the rotor is most important to stay with honda. 480 is not bad since they are doing shoes also. thats a ton of work. the pads are easy, its the shoes that adds more time.
Old 09-25-2009
Registered!!

hondo is an unknown quantity at this point

i always do my brakes myself. i get duralast gold from autozone. they come with a lifetime guarantee, so once they're worn out they swap them out with new ones for free. i would also do the rotors from autozone too. its very easy and would only cost you 35 for the brakes and 65 for the rotors
Old 09-25-2009
Registered!!

hondo is an unknown quantity at this point

thats assuming you have disc brakes. i know nothing about drum brakes, and can be of no help to anyone on that matter