Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Problem with my '97- engine reving on it's own! Help!

Old 01-15-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m_anglim is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem with my '97- engine reving on it's own! Help!

Okay, I've got a '97 with 224k miles on it and I love my car but today it has started giving me fits. It is reving by itself. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what could be causing this and if there are any quick fixes I could try before I have to find a repair guy. I just moved to a new town and am not looking forward to finding a new mechanic.

Did have codes checked- only O-2 sensor which has been going on for a year and I haven't replaced. Doesn't seem to be the belts. Did notice that the radiator fluid is low- I will replace, but could this affect it at all? Also have had unusually low temps (weather, not car)- car seems to have adjusted well and is starting fine. Have noticed that the door seals are breaking down and that there is a lot of moisture on the inside of the windshield- could moisture be getting into any other places that might affect this?

All practical advice would be much appreciated!!!!!
Old 01-15-2007
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
I assume you're saying that your car revs high while it idles.

Your idle is controlled by your IACV which is either on your throttle body if you have an auto or DX/LX. It'll be on the back of your IM if you have a 5 speed EX. Coolant runs through this controller so it knows if your car is warmed up or not. So yes, being low on coolant could cause an idling malfunction. It could also be that your coolant is not circulating through the IACV.

You should also replace your O2 sensor immediately. There are 2 of them. The code from the CEL will tell you which one is bad. They control your fuel/air mixture so if one or more have gone bad, the computer will switch over to fixed setting or run lean (bad for engine). Once you clear this CEL you should look for another code that might be related to your idling problem.
Old 01-17-2007
BOOSTED DOHC i-VTEC

stl01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
check the engine bay and see if any vaccum hose are loose.
Old 01-20-2007
Registered!!

PCBKnight is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a problem with my civic idling up and down. It does not do it all the time but it does enough to be annoying. My map sensor is my problem. This could be your problem. If it is idling real high it could be your throttle position sensor. You could also take the prior advice as it could be a vaccum leak which my mechanic friend said it sounds like the problem to him. Good luck man and if it is a sensor go on ebay cause it will cost you out tha a** for them in the parts store. I know personally. Civics are gold nuggets...lol. Keep us posted on it man.
Old 01-21-2007
Registered!!

PCBKnight is an unknown quantity at this point
Thought I'd let you know that mechanics don't always know what they are talking about. My map sensor is not my problem. Try taking your idle air control valve apart and cleaning it with brake parts cleaner. I forgot that I used to have the problem on my old corsica and that is what I did and it worked fine after that.
Old 01-21-2007
Registered!!

black02seavik will become famous soon enough
224 k damn thats insane
Old 01-31-2007
Registered!!

n/a-efhybrid is an unknown quantity at this point
The low coolant and IACV would be the two things I'd look at.
Old 02-01-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point
My friends integra did that, it was the coolant, but he needed a new rad.
Old 03-08-2007
Registered!!

jweb42055 is an unknown quantity at this point
you may want to check your throttle body gasket for a leek, same thing happened last week when i tried to put in a throttle body spacer, the idle went crazy 4000 for 15 sec then go between 2500 and 35 when idleing, check your gasket could be leaking, when i took mine out the old gasket looked like it was close to leaking, but i had to put the old one back because i couldn't get the throttle body spacer tight, we'll try again this weekend,

Nice to hear someones got as many miles as me 223k on my 96