Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

knocking rotors

Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imported_HondaMan is an unknown quantity at this point
knocking rotors

whats up guys, i have a problem, i recently purchased a 2002 honda civic ex, and i recently turned the rotors and now the rotors make a knocking sound everytime i stop, can you guys help me with that. i know somebode else with the same problem but they own an 2002 lx,can you guys help us

thanks homies
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

Shishpanik is an unknown quantity at this point
Thatd be weird because I think that problem would be from your drums....

I don't know go get that checked out.
Old 06-19-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Shishpanik
Thatd be weird because I think that problem would be from your drums....

I don't know go get that checked out.
i agree get it checked out at once that is a problem that you pretty much have to be there to diagnose that type of problem
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Some cars require shims when changing the brakes which reduce noise, does your car take or need these??
Old 06-24-2006
Registered!!

CharlieLink is an unknown quantity at this point
Calipers

If it is disc brakes, I would suspect a rotating in one of the calipers. If you did this assembly yourself, then just loosen the calipers, jiggle them a bit and retorque them - because there has been a problem (whether this is it or not), I would strongly suggest that you use a torque wrench to retighten them. When you remove the bolts (remove one & replace it loosely, then the other), inspect them closely - they may warrant replacement if the threads or shoulders are not excellent. As always, be sure your vehicle is properly on jackstands & chocked before working on brakes at home. If a shop did it, take the vehicle back and make it their problem.

If it is drums, the two suspects most likely are:
1. slop in the emergency brake - make certain these are properly adjusted.
2. one (or more) of the shoe support bars is backward or upside down - yes, they often will fit that way, and work, but with peculiar results sometimes.

Good luck in solving this problem - I get so annoyed with brake noises of any kind.
Old 06-25-2006
Registered!!

jhwee is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi guys, how are you?

I'm new to this forum, but not foruming... I'm a member of SuperHonda, and a member at Gen5Alive (for fifth generation Accords). I'm usually for Accords, but my girlfriend of 4.5 years and I recently purchased this car (two weeks ago).

We have an 06 Civic EX Sedan w/ Navigation (white), and I'm having a "knocking" sound when I brake sometimes, usually to a hard stop. I've never tampered with the brakes ever or with any other thing other than changing to all-weather floormats. I actually feel this "knock" on the pedal, it's a soft knock. Originally we thought it was something in the trunk but ruled that out. Nothing I can think of.

CharlieLink, would I have to retorque the calipers even though I haven't tampered with them? Would it possibly come loose or something on normal daily driving? Or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

CharlieLink is an unknown quantity at this point
Tough one

Originally Posted by jhwee
...CharlieLink, would I have to retorque the calipers even though I haven't tampered with them? Would it possibly come loose or something on normal daily driving? Or could it be something else?...
If the calipers haven't been off, it's unlikely that it would be a loose support bolt. But it could still be a bent bolt.
Another thing that it could be is a slipping pad on one of the brakes. Since these are probably constrained, there is no where for it to go, so it will still stop the vehicle, it just slides on the metal backing a bit first. More likely to hide with riveted pads than with bonded (glued). I don't know which the Honda vehicles use.
Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
i know the way it used to be is that oem pads were rivited and the aftermarket ones like from autozone and stuff were normally bonded...