Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Civic story

Old 02-10-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eShutterBUG is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic story

I thought I would share this story with everyone. A relative of mine several years ago owned a Honda Civic and absolutely LOVED it. It was great to handle, and as she called it, "peppy."

She got it up to way over 200,000 miles with the engine in perfect condition - and the only reason she had to stop driving it was because the floor was almost completely rusted through by her feet.

She was very upset, as you might have guessed.
Old 02-10-2006
Registered!!

GT_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
That is common for a civic to get that many miles or more.
Its not unusual, as long as its serviced regularly and well looked after, theres no reason why it wont get over 200k miles on the clock.
Old 02-15-2006
Registered!!

Yeah it's a very heavy duty car, great quality. She was devestated. They usually last a long time unless, like another friend of mine, you get in an accident and total your Civic and have to get a rental.
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

92blk(ivi( is an unknown quantity at this point
My first car was a 96 honda accord that my grandmother gave me.....it had about 214k on it. When I got rid of it, it had 221k. I traded it to my uncle for his truck. Biggest mistake of my life. My grandmother had babied that car so much the engine was perfect. Now I drive a 92 civic that vibrates like crap and i have had to work on it so much....oh well. I learned from my mistake.
Old 02-16-2006
Registered!!

Yeah and the thing is, with a lot of other cars it would have probably been a smart move. You underestimate civics! lol
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

i dont underestimate civics lol..i love mine...i'm just sayin it wasn't wise to go from an economical 4 cylinder accord to a gas guzzling truck w/ a 350 v8.....that was a stupid move when i was 16....cuz then i had to move down to something smaller (civic was my choice....i wanted a 2 door but i found a 4 door for a resonable price.)
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Yeah I know, I'm just kidding. Why was it that you traded your Civic for the truck? If the Civic's engine was so perfect what made you get rid of it?
Old 02-19-2006
Registered!!

sizzler is an unknown quantity at this point
They dont make them like they used to. I believe 80's cars were made for durability whereas nowadays they make them to break, therefore they make more money from servicing, parts and eventually a whole car replacement.
Old 02-20-2006
Registered!!

shutterbug.....i had A 96 honda accord (white 4-door) look like a grandmas car (it was of course, as it was my grandma that gave it to me)....then my uncle decided to move up north and he offered to trade me his truck for it (it was a 92 GMC Sierra Southern Comfort Edition)....at the time (before gas prices went up) it seemed like a good idea because i was planning on buying an old jetski and I had dirtbikes that i needed to haul around.....it was a great truck, it was just too expensive. I was gonna trade back w/ my uncle but before we could trade, he wrecked it.... and then tried to get me and my mom to help pay the costs to fix it! Yeah right! So I sold the truck for like $2800 cash then i went and found a 92 4-door civic for $2200 cash....and that's the whole story lol.
Old 02-20-2006
Registered!!

and now for the actual story of the civic....lol....*deep breath*...After I bought it some girl rear-ended me like 5 days later...so the back end looked like crap now. As i was waiting for insurance money to fix it, my oil pump went out and completely screwed up the engine. So we used the insurance money to pay for a new engine (but, i was retarded and didn't pay an extra $300 to $400 dollars for a swap).....after the engine was put in the oil started leaking like crazy....they finally fixed that and I just reapaired the back end so now i can finally start working on my car! lol....one problem after another.
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

Frantic is an unknown quantity at this point
did they fix that oil leak under warranty? they should have if it was their fault, or did you put it in yourself?

Sounds familiar to me.. a chain reaction of problems
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

twinkle can only hope to improve
You people are acting like a Civic is a Volvo. Come on now. As for the floorboard rusting out, that is when the car gets good. It is great for making like Fred Flinstone!
Old 02-22-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Frantic
did they fix that oil leak under warranty? they should have if it was their fault, or did you put it in yourself?

Sounds familiar to me.. a chain reaction of problems
Yeah they fixed the leaks under warranty. (the guy that owned the shop was an old high school friend of my dads so we got a good deal to start out w/.....but after all of that trouble i probably won't ever take it to them again.
Old 02-22-2006
Registered!!

x-raysteve can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by 92blk(ivi(
and now for the actual story of the civic....lol....*deep breath*...After I bought it some girl rear-ended me like 5 days later...so the back end looked like crap now. As i was waiting for insurance money to fix it, my oil pump went out and completely screwed up the engine. So we used the insurance money to pay for a new engine (but, i was retarded and didn't pay an extra $300 to $400 dollars for a swap).....after the engine was put in the oil started leaking like crazy....they finally fixed that and I just reapaired the back end so now i can finally start working on my car! lol....one problem after another.
Ewww... How much money did you sink into this old "free" car. You would have been better off taking all that money as a downpayment on a new car.
Old 02-22-2006
Registered!!

imported_blueangel is an unknown quantity at this point
That is a good and bad story Eshutterbug. Good because they got so much use out of the car. Bad news it had to come to an end.
Old 02-23-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by x-raysteve
Ewww... How much money did you sink into this old "free" car. You would have been better off taking all that money as a downpayment on a new car.
LOL sorry for the confusion lol....i probably typed too many stories to close together. The 96 ACCORD I got from my grandmother was free...and it had no problems.

Then I traded my ACCORD for a GMC SIERRA....because of high gas prices I sold the truck.

After I sold the truck I bought a 92 CIVIC for $2200....and I have been dumping money into it every since..lol...about $4000 has been put into the car. (it wasn't my money it was insurance money) plus I have been getting good deals because the shop's owner is a friend of my dad. If I had to pay $4000 out of my pocket I would probably have gotten another car or a swap....

Hope that clears things up lol....
Old 02-23-2006
Registered!!

x-raysteve can only hope to improve
Ah okay that makes more sense! I just sympahtized because I did have someone give me a free car once, it only cost me about $3000!