5w30 oil ok for 2015 civic? - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2017   #1  
Registered!!

Uselessladder is an unknown quantity at this point
5w30 oil ok for 2015 civic?

Hi,
I have a leased 2015 Civic with 21k miles, that I'm returning in 2 years. I was being cheap and got an oil change of conventional 5w30 oil, instead of recommended synthetic 5w20. Is this acceptable for one oil change (I will do the next one properly)?

Last edited by Uselessladder; 08-30-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Uselessladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #2  
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Colin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of lightColin42 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 5w30 oil ok for 2015 civic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uselessladder View Post
Hi,
I have a leased 2015 Civic with 21k miles, that I'm returning in 2 years. I was being cheap and got an oil change of conventional 5w30 oil, instead of recommended synthetic 5w20. Is this acceptable for one oil change (I will do the next one properly)?
It should be 0w20 in that car. Says right in your owners manual and on the oil cap...

Personally I'd change it to the proper oil as soon as I could. That thick oil is going to cause unnecessary wear on the engine.
Colin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #3  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The cheapest people often spend the most.

Meh, he could let it run 2-3000 miles. May as well get SOME use out of the money spent on the wrong oil LOL
I would not let it go the full distance the minder system says...The minder system has no way of knowing the WRONG oil is in the engine.

Then change back to the CORRECT 0w20 oil and drive it until the maintenance minder tells him to change it, which could be anywhere from 4000-10,000+ miles depending on how he drives.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017   #4  
Moderator of Rice

mac25 is a glorious beacon of lightmac25 is a glorious beacon of lightmac25 is a glorious beacon of lightmac25 is a glorious beacon of lightmac25 is a glorious beacon of lightmac25 is a glorious beacon of lightmac25 is a glorious beacon of light

If you're going to cheap out at least use 5w20

then the hot operational viscosity will still be the same.
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017   #5  
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

30 could cause VTEC oil starvation if oil gets low
(don't ask why i know...)
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017   #6  
The Dongerator

Megalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to beholdMegalodong is a splendid one to behold

Honda engineers are idiots..I mean with decades of great engines produced why would they do basic things like label their recommended oil weight on the oil cap, right? ...They do not tolerate those who have an intolerance for their (engine) tolerances.

Last edited by Megalodong; 08-31-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Megalodong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017   #7  
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalodong View Post
Honda engineers are idiots..I mean with decades of great engines produced why would they do basic things like label their recommended oil weight on the oil cap, right? ...They do not tolerate those who have an intolerance for their (engine) tolerances.
maybe that why McLaren is struggling (F1 reference )
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017   #8  
Registered!!

Uselessladder is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. I felt bad and took it to the Honda dealership and they were really nice and changed it for free.
Uselessladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017   #9  
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

brags is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Megalodong;4729894]Honda engineers are idiots..I mean with decades of great engines produced why would they do basic things like label their recommended oil weight on the oil cap, right? ...They do not tolerate those who have an intolerance for their (engine) tolerances.[/QUOTE

On my 2008 Civic DX its written on the Oil Cap as follows
{"5w20 Or see Owners Manual"} I use 5w30 synthetic instead.
Listen Honda would love too see you use 0w20 thinner Oil thinner oils
are coming about why.? I told YOU ALL ITS ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toyotas thinest oil possible...!.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	111617  
brags is offline   Reply With Quote