Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Long Crank during first start of the day

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RotorBeav15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Long Crank during first start of the day

Hello all,

My 2004 Civic has had problems with its first start of the day. When I go straight to ignition the car will turn over about 5-6 times more than normal before starting. After starting, it seems to run fine. Subsequent starts throughout the day also seem to be normal. I really only see this on the first start in the morning. I have noticed that if I put the key to run for about 10 seconds, the car starts normally (on the first start of the day).

I recently replaced the battery, so I'm fairly sure that it's the issue. When I do try and start, it sounds like it's getting the normal turn as well. I started hvkng this problem about a month ago....and this was after getting my car back after it was shipped overseas. During that period it sat for about 40-50 days.

Any ideas?

Beav
Old 07-10-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,132 Likes on 946 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Long Crank during first start of the day

sounds like its not keeping fuel at the rail overnight. there's a little oneway valve in the fuel pump thats supposed to keep fuel in the lines even with the car off.
just wait 10 seconds in the morning before starting your car(which is better for the car anyways). unless you feel like replacing a fuel pump that doesnt really need to be replaced
Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RotorBeav15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
sounds like its not keeping fuel at the rail overnight. there's a little oneway valve in the fuel pump thats supposed to keep fuel in the lines even with the car off.
just wait 10 seconds in the morning before starting your car(which is better for the car anyways). unless you feel like replacing a fuel pump that doesnt really need to be replaced
Thanks for the response. I definitely don't feel like replacing the pump! Does the 10 second delay just allow for the line to get re pressurized?
Old 07-10-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,132 Likes on 946 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

exactly