Honda Civic EX 2000 won't start under half tank gas - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2014   #1  
Registered!!

wootah88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic EX 2000 won't start under half tank gas

I bought a Honda Civic EX that is from 2000 in June of 2013 which was really well taken care of and came with all the maintenance records. After a few months it began having trouble starting when the gas tank got a little below half. I simply made sure that I kept it pretty full and I had no issues. Once the cold weather set in for the winter I've found that it takes about 10 minutes of trying to start it for about 10 seconds at a time, even with the gas tank full. I found that if I drive it everyday (I normally use it about 3 times a week) it always starts, except for when it's near a 1/4 tank of gas. I took it to an auto shop and after only a few hours of looking at it they said it was my fuel pump and fuel pump relay and would cost me $960!! I looked up how to do this repair on my own and it seems simple enough if I were to get some of my mechanically inclined friends involved AND it would cost closer to $250. I then took it to another auto shop who has had it for a few days and say they can't replicate the problem, though they did recommend I flush my transmission and brake fluids. I'm not sure what to do, should I take it to a third shop? Or should I just got ahead and assume it is the fuel pump and relay?
wootah88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #2  
Moderator of Rice

mac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to all
Re: Honda Civic EX 2000 won't start under half tank gas

once it's having problems again, locate the fuel line and through on a pair of vise grips (not so tight that there is no flow though, but half or a fourth flow). now turn the ignition two clicks so the pump will prime. now turn the ignition to start and if it fires up you know that it is your pump, because the vise grips simulate higher pressure once the pump primes.

if you get to the point where the vehicle starts up but once you step on the gas it stalls out, then you know if is the fuel pump. as well you can use the above starting technique to try to start it if your pump gets this bad.
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #3  
pleasure spiked with pain

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Something could be clogging the fuel filter/pick up when the level drops.

$960 is crazy!! It's not difficult to DIY.
GolNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #4  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A fuel pressure gauge and a $5 test light could tell you almost all you need to know about if the pump is getting switched on, and if it's working.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #5  
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

$5 for a test light?!?....pthff...just go spend the $960 you'll be further ahead. (JOKING)

You must also be racking up some bills just going from shop to shop?

....but yeah, testing fuel pressure is pretty simple. Generally the relay can be repaired just by resoldering the connections if you have the skills to do that.
Stock 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #6  

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock 99 View Post
Generally the relay can be repaired just by resoldering the connections if you have the skills to do that.
One can probably buy solder and a soldering iron cheaper than a new main relay.

CSB: I saw these guys in the early-mid 90s, playing a bar in Dayton Ohio after a.......*cough* small local festival *cough*.

Old 01-04-2014   #7