Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

08 Honda Civic EX- Bad gas Mileage???

Old 04-27-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pkrfan07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 08 Honda Civic EX- Bad gas Mileage???

I just bought an 08 honda civic ex with 35,000 miles on it. It runs fine and is really nice. However, i only get 280 miles per tank from full to empty. I did the math and should be getting about 25 mpg for a 13.2 gallon tank. It calls for 330 per tank of gas and i get 280??? Is this about right? Should I get a tune up? I just got an oil change with honda oil 5w20 and honda oil filter. plus, i am trying a test with 89 octane. I have about a quarter tank left and only 200 miles for this gas up so far. please help, its kinda ticking me off seeing that people are getting like 400 miles per tank when i get 280.
Old 04-27-2013
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough
Re: 08 Honda Civic EX- Bad gas Mileage???

how you drive has a lot to do with it. acceleration, cruising speed, quality of gas.

I have an 04 and I cant run 87 octane as I only get 26mpg and 31-33mpg with 89.
Old 04-27-2013
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are measuring your mpg wrong. Fill your tank up, set your odometer trip and drive for a while. Try to use most of your tank to get a longer average. Fill it up (I go to the same gas station, same pump) and divide the miles you drove by how many gallons of fuel you put back in to fill it up. That should be a more accurate measurement
Old 04-27-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pkrfan07
I just bought an 08 honda civic ex with 35,000 miles on it. It runs fine and is really nice. However, i only get 280 miles per tank from full to empty. I did the math and should be getting about 25 mpg for a 13.2 gallon tank. It calls for 330 per tank of gas and i get 280??? Is this about right? Should I get a tune up? I just got an oil change with honda oil 5w20 and honda oil filter. plus, i am trying a test with 89 octane. I have about a quarter tank left and only 200 miles for this gas up so far. please help, its kinda ticking me off seeing that people are getting like 400 miles per tank when i get 280.
Word:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4629477

"Your mileage may vary."

Gas mileage is 50% about the car, 50% about you and your own bad driving habits.

If I drive like an idiot, I can get well under 20 MPG.
If I drive a completely different way, I have actually gotten over 50 MPG in my 12 Civic.
Originally Posted by clinton_hedrick
I think you are measuring your mpg wrong.
And yeah, learn how to properly calculate gas mileage before you whine.
If you can't keep track, and if you can't do math, then you can't figure gas mileage.

I fill the tank every time. I let the pump click off, then stop.
I write miles and gallons every time. I have a notebook for this in the glovebox. (I think I have become my father!)
At the next fill up, I can calculate mileage for the last tank.
miles traveled/gallons filled
Repeat EVERY fill up.
To obtain an average.
One single tank of gas calculated is not an accurate evaluation for MPG. Too many variables.
An average of many tanks is more accurate.
Old 04-29-2013
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point

my buddy had something similar with his 06 automatic.
He owned from new and then started to get crappy mileage
said he always got over 30mpg now luck to get 25.
took it to honda multiple time then they finally found something
with the tranny.

I will ask him next time i see him see what they replaced
Old 05-02-2013
Registered!!

ubnpast is on a distinguished road

Change your gas station, I get anywhere from 33-40 on my 2010 exl
Old 05-03-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Theres an app for that too. You put in your info everytime you fill up and it tracks it for you. Check your tire pressure too, that helps a bit. But like already said it depends how you drive it. I have an 07 Ex and i get from 30-34MPG depending how i drive it. Also that 30MPG is highway, when you do back roads with stoplights that will change it also.
Old 05-03-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunner
Theres an app for that too. You put in your info everytime you fill up and it tracks it for you.
Seriously? SMFH
Old 05-04-2013
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

fuelly.com has such an app
Old 05-04-2013

No Child Left Behind.