Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Do STP (and other similar) products really work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crappyPUNKrockr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do STP (and other similar) products really work?

I saw some products like this at Wal Mart the other night and considering that they were all about $6/bottle, I was a little skeptical. Here are all of there products http://www.stp.com/products/
There are also products out there like http://www.auto-rx.com/ which say they are for "heavy sludge" and also "to clean high-milage vehicles". At $27.97/bottle or $47.24 for two with shipping, I think that's a little expensive. Does it really work?
On oil, my car has 170,000 miles. I use Valvoline high milage 5W-20 just like the cap says, but I have seen a lot of people saying to use 5W-30 just because the car has so many miles on it. But why? My shop teacher has always told us to use whatever the car manufacture says to use.
Overall, my car runs great! I just want to know what to do to it to keep it running great or better.

2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe Standard
Old 09-29-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Do STP (and other similar) products really work?

That junk stuff like stp you find at Walmart doesn't work very well (at all actually). Save you money and buy something that actually works like autorx, seafoam, or FP60.

Those three I mentioned all have good reviews and analysis and results. Check out bobistheoilguy forums and you'll see.
Old 09-29-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Take off your oil cap.
Look down inside there with a flashlight.
Can you see metal?
Yeah, it will be dark and covered in oil...but it shouldn't have a layer of TAR on it.
Do you see a coating of THICK BLACK TAR all over everything? If it is tar, you could scrape it with a screwdriver and lift it out in chunks.
If there is no tar, then your life is good.
Put the oil cap back on and stay the hell out of the WallyWorld car aisle from now on.
Continue changing oil regularly as you have been.
Use the oil that your cap says to.

-----------------------------------------------------

Google: Wallet flush.

Find my reply in here for my thoughts on sludge https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...l-filters.html
Old 09-30-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

auto-rx works for a one time engine treatment. lubecontrol.com works for continuous use in oil and gas, one of the only additive combos that actually does something and proven with independent lab testing to increase hp and mileage. ive been using it for a very long time.
Old 09-30-2012
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

What if you have that tar build up what will work for that?
Old 09-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
What if you have that tar build up what will work for that?
Where do you think that "tar" will go if it does work??
Old 09-30-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

auto-rx works for heavily trashed engines. it mixes the sludge into the oil and comes out 5k miles later. then you do another 5k miles with regular oil for rinse. 10k miles later you have an almost new engine with more power, better mileage, and less oil consumption. it really does work. we tried it on our 92 accord which any shop wouldve said just junk the motor. i pulled out handfulls of black stuff from under the valve cover and then ran auto-rx. at the end of the treatment and rinse, it felt like the engine gained 20 hp and mileage went back to the 34mpg sticker number. it also went from using a quart of oil every month to a quart every year. for the money i would say it worked as advertised and then some. just be sure to keep the auto-rx in there for 5k miles, then do another rinse for 5k miles with no auto-rx. switching to maxlife oil will help too for leaks and burning. but do not use synthetic with the treatment, only regular dino.
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

A buddy of mine and I went into autozone today. we were maybe going to buy some of that seafoam for his '93 accord. We just figured it would help keep it clean out. one of the employees there and brought up that since there is a little bit of ethanol in our fuel, it carries more water, which isn't good for your engine. he suggested that we put some STP Gas treatment in. the bottles were 3 for $5 so we decided to get some. I dumped one bottle in a full tank. We'll see how it works over some time.

2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Old 10-11-2012

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

an alternative to AUTO-RX is seafoam.

change you oil with fresh dino oil (like the yellow penzoil) and throw half a bottle of seafoam in your crank case (with oil) and drive for about 1-2k miles. it will take the sludge out of your engine. do it again with the remaining half of the bottle on another oil change if your engine is in really bad shape. the guys/gals at BITOG recomended this.
Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

why does it call for using cheap oil?
Old 10-15-2012

Originally Posted by crappyPUNKrockr
why does it call for using cheap oil?
well, penziol (yellow) bottle isnt cheap (as in quality) wise...but its cheap in price. you can get it for about $15 for 5qt on walmart.

you want to use a good inexpensive oil because you will be draining it out after 1k anyways. the seafoam will really take off that tar our of your engine bay and your oil filter will prob be fuller faster and your oil dirtier faster as well.