Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Auto RX Arrived Today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PacosTacos88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto RX Arrived Today!

Gonna be starting up my first AutoRX treatment here this afternoon.

Some background info:
2001 Civic EX
240,000 miles (will update with exact number when I go down to my car)
Burns some oil. Uses about 2 qts every 3k miles
At 1500 miles, the oil is pitch black
I'm a pizza hut delivery driver (fun and easy job while going to school), so the miles shouldn't take long at all to accumulate

The instructions I'll be following are for the high mileage application.

The application instructions from their site is as follows:

STEP 1 Add 1 full bottle of Auto-Rx to a fresh oil change, with a new oil filter installed.
STEP 2 Drive your vehicle for 3000 miles.
STEP 3 Drain the oil, change the filter, and refill with motor oil, only.
STEP 4 This begins the 3,000-mile rinse phase. Drive the car as you would normally to fulfill the 3,000-mile rinse.
NOTE:
Heavily sludged motors will require more than one application. Run one oil change interval (OCI) with just oil (no Auto-Rx) before starting the second application.
In severely sludged motors, it may be necessary to change out the oil filter halfway through the application.
For high mileage vehicles, we recommend a second application also.

I'll try to keep this updated with every oil change (oil color, oil loss, etc..) and first impressions (if any).
Old 08-31-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Auto RX Arrived Today!

trust me on this one: you want to do the treatment for 5k miles and also the rinse for 5k miles. It cleans a million times better that way. use regular dino oil for each oil change, NOT synthetic or blend! if you want for the rinse phase, you can use valvoline maxlife and continue using after rinse. It greatly reduces oil burning on top of what the auto-rx does. i would not recommend ever using full syn for a car like what you described. maxlife will be just fine, and 5w30 is recommended even without oil burning issues.
Old 09-02-2012
Registered!!

I used Castrol GTX (regular, not high mileage) for the first cleaning phase. I'm nervous about going 5k miles the first run, because it is so bad. I'm using a Bosch Distance Plus Oil Filter. I've heard it's supposed to be like a Pure1, but with higher capacity.
Old 09-03-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

If you want a higher capacity filter use any s2000 based filter.

And our civic filter have more than enough filtering capacity.

FYI, the 3.5L Honda pilot engine uses the same oil filter as our punie 1.7L civic engines

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 09-03-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

trust me nothing can be as bad as the 92 accord i did and was fine to 5k miles. altho to be fair, i first opened the valve cover and removed about 10 handfulls of carbon junk/sludge from around the valves.
Old 09-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
trust me nothing can be as bad as the 92 accord i did and was fine to 5k miles. altho to be fair, i first opened the valve cover and removed about 10 handfulls of carbon junk/sludge from around the valves.
Haha how in the hell???
Old 09-03-2012
Premium Member

there were thick hair ball type fluffs everywhere, and all sorts of nasty black chunks and goo. engine barely had 100k on it but i guess it happens when you dont drive very far and dont do any real maintenance lol. its got a nasty rod knock too but amazingly drives almost like new with good power (after the auto-rx). before, it was slower than the civic and ate over a quart a month of oil with very little driving.