Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Evap system issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nkm1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Evap system issues

Hello all, I am new to all this. I have a 04 civic and have noticed a strong raw fuel smell after I park my car in the garage at the end of the day. I don't smell it when driving or in the morning after it is parked. Only at the end of the day. I had it checked out by a mechanic and they ran a evap test, where they pumped it full of smoke to determine if there were any leaks. They didn't see any leaks. They said it could be my vapor canister.. I told them that I always fuel a little more after the pump has clicked off. I had to canister replaced and I still smell the fuel. Just would like to get some other opinions as to what else it could possibly be?

Thank you,
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Evap system issues

is cel on ? does it show p1505. Other than smell any other functional distractions.(car shaking.noises, rattling).
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

It has been running a little rough, but I was also told that I am need of a new battery. So I was thinking the roughness was due to an old battery. Not sure about the code. When they replaced the canister, they said fuel came out, and it was saturated. Just trying to save money by narrowing it down.
Old 08-04-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

It might be the fuel purge valve. Are you referring to the charcole canister that was replaced?

Edit: a bad battery won't cause it to run rough. Battery is used for starting then the alternator takes over. Roughness is more likely fuel or ignition. Has it had a tune up? O2 sensors? Roughness could be caused by your fuel smell.
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

Yes, it was the charcoal canister that was replaced. Ok, I was looking at the Kragen/O'Reily website and saw that there is a canister purge valve and a canister vent/solenoid?
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

I had a friend replace the spark plugs last year. Also had the mechanic do the timing belt and water pump last August. Haven't sent it in for strictly for a tune-up though.
Old 08-04-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yes either the valve or vent can go bad and cause a fuel smell...a tune up for new cars is just spark plugs. Do you know what brand plug he put in? If it was iridium or not?

Edit: the charcole canister can also go bad, so atleast that is ruled out.
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

Yes, they were iridium. Maybe i can replace the purge valve and see if that works. I am not getting any check engine light, which is odd.
Old 08-04-2012
Prelude Owner

Yea it is odd that the CEL isn't on. I actually have the same problem with my 01. It smells worse the hotter it gets outside. I have yet to replace anything to try and fix it and my CEL isn't on either. Sometimes it's easier if it just comes on! The valve or vent would be a good place to start. That's what I was going to start with.
Old 08-04-2012
Registered!!

Ok, the prices are reasonable for both vent and valve. Think I will start with the valve. Then if it still is omitting the fumes I will change the vent.
Old 08-04-2012
Prelude Owner

Sounds like a good plan. If your budget allows, I would get Honda parts. hondapartscheap.com is good or majestic Honda. Some parts you really need to use OEM but with those 2 you should be fine. I don't like to take a chance so I always try to buy OEM.