Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Winter Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06Honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Winter Oil

I live in Ontario Canada and normally let the honda dealer do my oil changes but I have decided after the last bill for it its time to just go to my local quick lube location. What is the type of oil that I should use for the winter IE: 5W-20 etc. Thanks for any info, I attempted to search the forum using "Winter Oil" but did not find anything specific on this.

Paul
Old 01-21-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Oil

RTFM

5w20 should be fine. The engineers decided on and stamped those numbers on your oil cap for SOME reason. It's not like they pulled those numbers out of thin air.

Oil technology has advanced exponentially over the last 10-15 years. You cannot listen to the stories that your dad and granddad tell about oil, none hold water these days.

If you think "oil is oil", that's wrong. Not all oil is the same. Lower quality oils are pushed hard because they generate the highest profits.
Even worse: Labeling is misleading, designed to dupe the unknowing consumers into buying anything on the shelf. It is still confusing to me, and I am a tech. "Meets or exceeds xxx spec" on a label doesn't mean it meets ALL areas of a given spec. Very misleading.

For example: General Motors; "Meets Dexos specs" is not the same as "Dexos approved". Approved oil will have the Dexos 1 or 2 logo displayed proudly on the bottle. http://www.gmdexos.com/

(As an aside, an independent and well respected oil expert, (that frequents a professional forum I am a member of), has mentioned that Dexos-1 specs cover Hondas specs, so any oil of the proper viscosity that is approved and stamped with the "Dexos-1" logo should be fine for our cars!)

Dealer oil is semi synthetic (bulk) and full synthetic (bottled). Hondas current custom blended oil is a close equivalent to Kendall GT1 Ultimate Synthetic. Mobil-1 and Pennzoil Platinum Plus in the proper viscosity are also perfectly fine. All are engineered to last the entire duration of the your oil life monitor without adverse engine issues under normal conditions.
Our bottled Mobil-1 5w20 has the Dexos-1 logo right on the front of the bottle.

Lesser quality oils can break down and cause damage before the oil life monitor runs out. The monitor has no clue what oil is really inside the engine, it can't sample the oil itself.

HTH
Old 01-21-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah. Can you post a breakdown of your oil change receipt? The correct oil isn't cheap.
Old 01-21-2012

Here's another thing: You will not get out of there for the advertised price.

The quickylubes survive and make money by high-pressure upselling needless services to unwary consumers. I read somewhere that the average ticket ends up around $250, and they all come in for just the cheapass oil change.

I know, dealers can do it too.

As a consumer, you need to be very aware.
Old 01-21-2012
Registered!!

06Honda is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent information guys , thanks kindly for taking the time to post back. Much appreciated.
Old 04-13-2012
Registered!!

civic2080 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 06Honda
I live in Ontario Canada and normally let the honda dealer do my oil changes but I have decided after the last bill for it its time to just go to my local quick lube location. What is the type of oil that I should use for the winter IE: 5W-20 etc. Thanks for any info, I attempted to search the forum using "Winter Oil" but did not find anything specific on this.

Paul
I just joined this forum and I apologize for such a late response. In winter you could use Mobil 1, OW-20.

See: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_0W-20.aspx

It should be good for temperatures down to -48º Celsius
Old 04-13-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^ lol

welcome aboard i guess