Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Safe mileage to convert to synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tjbarnes74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Safe mileage to convert to synthetic?

I am still browsing the market to get the best bang for my buck on a civic, but I need to know what a safe mileage to convert from regular to a synthetic oil would be? I really need to know that before I buy anything, so I will know a mileage to stay under... thank you all for your help.
Old 10-23-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Safe mileage to convert to synthetic?

There is no need to switch to "full synthetic" your car will last over 300k on regular good quality oil. Don't waste ur money.

If u have high milage valvoline maxlife is great.
Old 10-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you can convert whenever you want but if its brand new you need to follow the break in procedure.
Old 10-24-2011
Registered!!

In the long run doesn't it save money to use a synthetic vs a regular,... if I remember synthetic is supposed to last 10k miles or some such thing? I may be mistaken as I drive a truck now and have driven it on high mileage oil since i bought it, so I never read too much into synthetics
Old 10-24-2011
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't really read into it, but I started my 05 on full synthetic around 85k. Seems like it took to it pretty well.
Old 10-24-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Just switched to full synthetic in my stock D because they didn't have the high mileage stuff in my viscosity. Figured i'd try it out. Drove 300 miles back to school yesterday and the car ran great as usual. Oil is oil, when it really comes down to it. Honda's don't really give a crap what oil you put in them as long as there's oil in them they will run fine. Other cars tend to be much more temperamental; but for civics just go down to the dealership they will sell that stuff to you dirt cheap. I just like paying the few extra dollars knowing I got quality brand name oil in the car so I can justify those on-ramp beatings
Old 10-24-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the only reason for synthetic is longer drain intervals. so if you dont like changing the oil very often, its a good option. i would wait at least 10k miles before switching, 20k if you want to be absolutely safe.
Old 10-24-2011

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
the only reason for synthetic is longer drain intervals. so if you dont like changing the oil very often, its a good option. i would wait at least 10k miles before switching, 20k if you want to be absolutely safe.
Originally Posted by tjbarnes74
In the long run doesn't it save money to use a synthetic vs a regular,... if I remember synthetic is supposed to last 10k miles or some such thing? I may be mistaken as I drive a truck now and have driven it on high mileage oil since i bought it, so I never read too much into synthetics
every engine is different and to wear-and-tear rate is different. (way too many variables)

the ONLY way to know if ur oil is still good at x,xxx (oil life) is to send a sample to a lab and get it tested (we call this a UOA report, "used oil analysis report")

otherwise, running ur oil longer than (lets say 6000miles, thats a safe mark) is a gamble (and an oil change with good oil only cost $30...is it worth it?)
Old 10-24-2011

ill give you a quick overview on oil i tell everyone. this is the short explanation for simplicity sake.

there are two types of oil you'll find on shelves: true synthetic (group IV oils) and refined dino (group III oils)

the biggest difference between them (arguable) is that true synthetics (group IV) are man made. therefore EACH molecule of oil is EXACTLY the same as the other. in other words, its MUCH MUCH more consistent. this also is very expensive to manufacture (it also allows for the addition and subtraction of certain additives)

refined dino oil (group III) are 99.99% filtered and refined. it is ALMOST (like 99%) as good as group IV oils. the refinement process has GREATLY improved over the years, so the groupIII oils u get now a days are extremely GOOD.

but here's the catch:
In the United States, companies have found a loophole in the legal system. it allows them to put "synthetic" or "full synthetic" on groupIII oils (but as we know, groupIII is NOT a real "synthetic" oil because it isnt man made). so many of the "full synthetic" oils you are buying, and assuming its real synthetic, is actually NOT.
Old 10-24-2011

so yes, it is possible to change oil ever 10k miles but the conditions is key.

if u are doing a lot of city and stop-and-go, then ur oil changes will occur more rapidly.

but thats also just an generalized assumption.
Old 10-24-2011
Registered!!

Well thanks for all your help everyone, kinda made my shopping a tad easier, I now know that the mobile 1 synthetic I want to buy is not a true synthetic... and that, regardless of how much i want to convert to a synthetic just to say I run a synthetic, it is a potential waste of money... much appreciated for the input
Old 10-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i would only get AMSOIL.
Old 10-25-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i like redline cause i can get it local
Old 10-25-2011

just use good oil. if ur engine breaks down, it's going to most likely be from something else and not because u didnt use the most expensive oil out there.
Old 10-25-2011
Premium Member

yeah im sure regular valvoline, changed every 5k, will still get you past 500k miles no problem. then again, engines are usually not the weak point of cars. other things always fail first and engines are cheap in case they do go out early.
Old 10-25-2011

7thgen automatic transmission FTL