Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Gas tank cleaning (Civic LX 2002 2dr)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moshe1010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gas tank cleaning (Civic LX 2002 2dr)

Hello,

I was wondering if I need to clean my gas tank every X months/years?
I was at Jiffy Lube to change my oil and filters, they said because my car doesn't have cleaning system in its gas tank I'll need to clean it manually.
Is this true? Can I use one of the injector cleaners out there or should I take out the gas tank, clean it, and put it back?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Gas tank cleaning (Civic LX 2002 2dr)

lol i have never cleaned a gas tank in my life on any of my cars but you should replace the filter if need be. now if your storing the car for extended amounts of time you should keep the tank full of gas and ad some sta-bil fuel stabilizer to the gas. by the way your fuel filter is located in the tank which is a pain in the azz to replace but its well worth it.
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
lol i have never cleaned a gas tank in my life on any of my cars but you should replace the filter if need be. now if your storing the car for extended amounts of time you should keep the tank full of gas and ad some sta-bil fuel stabilizer to the gas. by the way your fuel filter is located in the tank which is a pain in the azz to replace but its well worth it.
Yea I was thkinking that this is BS to get more money, but you'll never know for sure till you ask.
What do you mean by "storing the car for extended amounts of time", I'm driving my car, at least 5 days a week for 10-15 miles.I was reading about BG 44K, any good?
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i mean if your storing your car for months at a time if you leave the tank empty and don't use sta-bil rust can form in the tank. and why exactly do you feel the need to use injector cleaner im assuming the mechanic suggested BG because most of them do. i personally only use LUCAS injector cleaner and upper cylinder lube on my car its not a harsh solvent like that bg stuff and it lubes the fuel pump. best of all you can get a large 32oz bottle at walmart for 10 bucks. i also have used AMSOIL products in the past including there oil but there really hard to find locally and cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited by lowlife9; 06-09-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i mean if your storing your car for months at a time if you leave the tank empty and don't use sta-bil rust can form in the tank. and why exactly do you feel the need to use injector cleaner im assuming the mechanic suggested BG because most of them do. i personally only use LUCAS injector cleaner and upper cylinder lube on my car its not a harsh solvent like that bg stuff and it lubes the fuel pump. best of all you can get a large 32oz bottle at walmart for 10 bucks. i also have used AMSOIL products in the past including there oil but there really hard to find locally and cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-09-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Your car has a fuel filter right after the fuel pump. But you don't need any kind of cleaning for it unless u leave the fuel unused for a year + (because mosisture gets in ur tank after a long period of time)
Old 06-12-2011
Registered!!

green01civic will become famous soon enoughgreen01civic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Moshe1010
I was reading about BG 44K, any good?
When you're looking for a fuel injector or fuel system cleaner, you want to be sure that it is high in PEA.

Techron Concentrate Plus: 30-60% PEA (according to MSDS)
Red Line SI-1: 30-50% PEA (according to MSDS)

Most other cleaners, fuel system or fuel injector cleaners, are a mix of aromatic hydrocarbons (xylene, toluene, etc.), alcohols, petroleum distillates (napthalene, etc.), and/or other garbage.

As for BG44k, it is allegedly high in PEA (that's the rumor), but they're either hiding it on their MSDS, or it's BS. Either way, I'd go with Red Line or Techron Concentrate, cause at least you know what you're getting there.