Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Question regarding fuel types for Honda Civic 2006

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
993ironman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question regarding fuel types for Honda Civic 2006

Need help here with what type of gas/fuel i should use for the Honda Civic 2006 DX-G 4 door sedan.

I always used regular for my corolla 98, and supreme for my acura 1999 3.2tl,

any tips on what gas this car would love?

thx.
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question regarding fuel types for Honda Civic 2006

87 should be good. only the SI requires premium.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
87 should be good. only the SI requires premium.
So 87 Regular? Manual says 91.

Last edited by 993ironman; 01-09-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

use what the manual says. The R18 engine (same found in the 06+ Civics except the Si) does have a 10.5:1 compression ratio, so that does kinda warrant a higher octane gasoline to be used.
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hmm yeah use 91 then but wow the r18 really has that high a compression? i wonder why it doesnt make much power. and the weird thing is i dont think anyone knows about this. they just assume (like me) that a regular civic uses 87. everyone i know with an 06+ regular civic uses 87. maybe i should tell em about this next time lol

does it say 'premium only' on the gauges or on the gas cap?

Last edited by gearbox; 01-09-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2011
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

hmm yeah use 91 then but wow the r18 really has that high a compression? i wonder why it doesnt make much power. and the weird thing is i dont think anyone knows about this. they just assume (like me) that a regular civic uses 87. everyone i know with an 06+ regular civic uses 87. maybe i should tell em about this next time lol

does it say 'premium only' on the gauges or on the gas cap?
Yea, I was surprised, too, when I looked up the R18's specs and saw that compression ratio.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

The R18 technically requires 91 octane fuel just like any engine with a compression ratio above 10:1, but I won't comment on the percentage of people who use 87 instead.

Some cars actually require 91 octane to run and will stall with any lower grade of fuel, the Civic Si, however will run with run just fine with 87 octane. I'm not sure what the long term effects on the engine would be though..

Last edited by MindBomber; 01-09-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

found this on another forum. are you sure the manual doesnt say 87 or higher? the ecu can correct for higher octane if you use it, but its not recommended. usually cars run better for their lowest rated octane. otherwise ecu will change the ignition timing and other things to compensate for higher octane gas that the engine cant properly burn as well.

As to the Si and its gas octane requirements, here is what the 2006 Civic Coupe manual says:
"All models EXCEPT the Si are designed to operate on octane number of 87 OR HIGHER. Use of a lower octane than 87 can cause a persistant heavy metallic rapping noise that can lead to engine damage.
Si MODEL ONLY: designed to operate with octane of 91 OR HIGHER. Use of a lower octane gasoline can cause metallic knocking noises in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance. Use of gas with octane less than 87 can lead to engine damage."

So it sounds to me like you can use 87 octane just fine in the EX and not have engine knocking, but putting 87 octane in the Si is likely to result in engine knocking noises and decreased performance.
when i went to the honda website and looked it up, they say it requires 'regular unleaded'

Last edited by gearbox; 01-09-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

found this on another forum. are you sure the manual doesnt say 87 or higher? the ecu can correct for higher octane if you use it, but its not recommended. usually cars run better for their lowest rated octane. otherwise ecu will change the ignition timing and other things to compensate for higher octane gas that the engine cant properly burn as well.

when i went to the honda website and looked it up, they say it requires 'regular unleaded'
Manual says 91 recommended but anything over 87+ is usable. The dealer i got the car from used 87.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 993ironman
Manual says 91 recommended but anything over 87+ is usable. The dealer i got the car from used 87.
I would use 87.
Old 01-09-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I would use 87.
Okay. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

well it seems like 87 should not hurt anything, but due to the high compression you would get better performance using 91. guess its up to you to decide.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

well it seems like 87 should not hurt anything, but due to the high compression you would get better performance using 91. guess its up to you to decide.
I did some searching, but I can't find anyone who has actually put there car on a dyno and measured the difference in performance between 87 and 91 octane fuel. To bad..
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

ive seen plenty of dynos. running lower octane will cause the knock sensor to retard ignition timing and this will cause worse power and gas mileage. over time it will cause engine damage. car companies have to make a way for the ecu to adjust because there will always be those who use the bare minimum and would otherwise destroy the motor. for the SI, 91 is required. and the compression for the regular r18 is almost as high. that alone would make me use at least 89 to be on the safe side. altho im sure you can get away with using 87 on the regular civic for a long time. its just not ideal conditions.
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

lol here is some bedtime reading for you guys. thread is hilarious

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/civic...octane-si.html
Old 01-09-2011
Premium Member

one more thing i should add...you CAN pick the octane to use based on driving style and where you live. if you are in elevations like 5000ft or higher, then you probably can get away with 87. you could also use 87 if you do not beat on the car or rev past 3-4k rpms very often. alot of people do that to save $$ and get better mileage but you have to adjust your driving habits.
Old 01-09-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

That forum makes me laugh sometimes, I like the thread on running 110 octane.
Old 01-10-2011
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

wtf! i now have a deep hate for this dr. bill and that kid with no facts or proof. i got through page 3, then couldn't read on lol
Old 01-10-2011
Administrator
Administrator

dude, I got a good laugh out of it. Then again I couldn't get more than a few pages into it also..

I think the fact that I worked as a mechanic in a nuclear power plant makes the "nuclear scientist" thing that much funnier to me.