Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Ac question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drjay9051 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ac question

Hope I'm posting in correct area. I could not find an AC forum. I have an 01 civic Ex with 165k miles. I keep putting in money and dont know at what point it no longer pays. My new problem; 3 years ago new AC condenser, worked great till a week ago it would run cold, than no cold than cold etc. Seemed to cycle intermittantly even though i did not touch the controls. Now I'm driving home tonight and I smell a burning odor, sort of like burning rubber. There is a belt which goes from pulley to pulley next to AC unit. Seems to be the only belt i can see. It's on right side of engine just behind the fan, and next to AC unit. It is making a horrible grinding sound. I assume it is the belt for compressor however it is turning even though AC is off. If I drive it continues to screech. If I switch on AC at dash and car is in park vehicle will stall out. Any ideas as to what this belt and pulleys are and if its worth fixing. As I said 160K plus miles. Already replaced control arms , wheel bearings, brakes, AC compressor etc. When does it become a losing proposition? Love the car and the MPG BUT money is a factor.
Old 09-30-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ac question

Cars need parts replaced. As for your AC issue, I got nothing. I just wanted to say that at 160k, you're going to have to replace stuff involving the suspension and brake system eventually. A car is one of the biggest investments you'll make in life. You'll never get back as much as you put into it. Well, you may. Most of the time, that isn't the case though. Also, if you smell burning rubber, one(or more) of your belts may be worn. I'm not too familiar with the layout of the 01 Civics, but I'd imagine the first belt is the A/C belt just like in my car.
Old 09-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Compressor or compressor clutch, it's seizing and melting your belt.
Old 09-30-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lazlong
Compressor or compressor clutch, it's seizing and melting your belt.
BINGO!

the compressor + compressor clutch is freezing up (seizing) and since ur belt is connected to ur power steering + alternator + compressor, it is slipping and thus burning itself on the compressor.

get a new compressor + compressor clutch asap before ur system really takes a ****.

as a side note, any time replace any component in ur AC (like a compressor) you NEED to replace the DRYER as well.
Old 09-30-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

what i would also suggest is BUY ALL THE PARTS and take it to an AC repair shop and have them install it, vacuum/clean your lines and then refill it with the proper amount of 134a refrigerant

i went to LAS VEGAS this summer and my compressor froze up on me. my car shut down and would start because the crank pully is connected to the same belt the compressor uses.

all in all, (since i live in california and it was a hot *** summer) they over charged me for a grand total of $1190.00 dollars to FIX my AC problem. $600 for parts $600 for labor.

now, if i was smart (and back in california) i WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE PARTS MYSELF and then taken it to an AC place and have them install it.

($250 for parts) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

and then it would have cost me no more than 300-400 in labor (about 4hrs of labor)
Old 09-30-2010

oh yea, i would NOT drive with ur AC on until u fix ur ac problem. because if ur clutch gets stuck in, and everything seizes, ur screwd
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

No funds to fix AC and summer is over. Is it OK to cut cut the belt that goes to thecompressor. Does not seem to do anythingelse. Than in the summer and when i have some money replace Ac parts and belt. Will I do any damage if I cut the belt? Seems like alternator etc have their own belts???
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

HELL NO! Your car won't run. Go down to O'reillys and get the A/C delete belt, it's $11.00.
Old 10-01-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

LoL. I've actually heard of people doing that and someone suggested that to me since my motor mount bracket is broken and I need to get it rewelded to actually remove my belt. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. Yeah dude, just listen to lazlong and do the right thing.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

HELL NO! Your car won't run. Go down to O'reillys and get the A/C delete belt, it's $11.00.
How is that?? The compressor belt runs only compressor as far as I can tell. This is not a bigass serpentine belt and does not run alternator, thats a different belt. Anybody have an opinion on this. I do think i can cut the belt. i will loosen the compressor and take slack out of belt. If car runs great if not retension compressor bracket.

Sound right??
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

If you have a 2001 EX the belts will ONLY look like this:
Name:  belt.jpg
Views: 4296
Size:  84.2 KB

Without A/C, it will ONLY look like this:
Name:  belt2.jpg
Views: 3539
Size:  91.6 KB

If your belt configuration doesn't look like this then please look at the engine block and tell me what it's stamped with here:
Name:  blocknumber.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  85.3 KB
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

If you have a 2001 EX the belts will ONLY look like this:

Without A/C, it will ONLY look like this:

If your belt configuration doesn't look like this then please look at the engine block and tell me what it's stamped with here:
Lazlong; My mistake. i obviously know nothing about my car! It is the topmost belt in your diagram. Followed a line and it looks like bad power steering pump, not AC however I stiill have power steering. It is a noise coming from the junction of the pulley and the pump. Tried silicone spray, no change. OK to cut this belt? Ill probably have a mechanic give me an estimate but until than?? What do you think? Strange: car idles fine until I turn on AC switch than it shudders and dies . But It is the pwr steering pump for sure.
Old 10-01-2010
Trance Addict

Pretty sure it isn't a smart idea to cut that belt.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Yeah, topmost is the PS pump. I don't see any harm in taking that one off although, I would advise calling the Honda house (or any mechanic for that matter) in the morning and see what they say.
Old 10-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the ps belt can be cut, but its much smarter to convert to a breather system so you still have fluid circulating in the rack. otherwise you can have issues later. also it makes it easier to turn the wheel with a breather system than with a cut belt. there is a great diy in the 7thgen diy forums.
Old 10-01-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
the ps belt can be cut, but its much smarter to convert to a breather system so you still have fluid circulating in the rack. otherwise you can have issues later. also it makes it easier to turn the wheel with a breather system than with a cut belt. there is a great diy in the 7thgen diy forums.
Duh!Completely forgot about that. lol