Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tennessee Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing Belt Replacement

When should the timing belt be replaced in a 2002 Civic. The car has low mileage 40,000 but is going on 9 years old .
Old 08-15-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Timing Belt Replacement

By miles you are required to change it every 110,000 miles.
By kilometers you are required to change in every 177,000 kilometers.
By time you are required to change it every 7 years.

Sometimes you can get away with leaving it longer by time if you live in a mild climate, but I'd recommend having your mechanic take a look. The cost of replacement including a timing belt tensioner and water pump is around $600.
Old 08-15-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

check ur belt, but im pretty willing to bet that its time to change ur belt. if ur timing breaks while u drive ur engine is pretty much toasted. valves, pistons and rods are all gonna bang on each other (no timing between them).

if u buy the parts urself, and get a shop to do it, it should cost you no more than about 400.

it ended up costing me only about 380 (with labor + parts) for:
timing belt
power steering belt
AC compressor belt
various seals/gaskets
tensioner
water pump
water pump seals
Old 09-27-2010
Registered!!

mharnisch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tennessee Mike
When should the timing belt be replaced in a 2002 Civic. The car has low mileage 40,000 but is going on 9 years old .
I just had mine changed today at the dealer. I have a 1997 Civic with less than 68,000 miles. Had it changed because of the age. Cost was $605 and included timing belt, water pump, gallon of coolant, three accessory belts, and valve cover gasket. They did not replace the tensioner, as they said they normally don't unless there is a problem with the old one. I had them give me the old belt and pump. Neither one looked bad. The belt had minimal wear but was not at all brittle. Still I think money was well spent as I plan to keep this car a long time.
Old 09-27-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^thats so expensive, but i guess whats wt happens when u take it to a stealership
Old 09-27-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

That sounds about right though. I mean, I'd rather have them do it than some shady dude name Phil at some no name shop. But that's just me. At least it doesn't need to be done for a few more years. You can save up by then or learn to do it on your own the next time it comes time for a change. That's what I'm going to do. I was inexperienced when I got my car, but I've become much more comfortable working on it.
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

mharnisch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MelJ
That sounds about right though. I mean, I'd rather have them do it than some shady dude name Phil at some no name shop. But that's just me. At least it doesn't need to be done for a few more years. You can save up by then or learn to do it on your own the next time it comes time for a change. That's what I'm going to do. I was inexperienced when I got my car, but I've become much more comfortable working on it.
I agree. This isn't a job for the everyday shadetree mechanic. An improper installation of the timing belt could cause destruction of the engine. Also, I feel better knowing genuine Honda parts were used. After all, the original Honda parts that came on the vehicle when purchased new lasted nearly 13 years.