Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Suggestions pls for 2002 Coupe EX 70k maintenance

Old 08-04-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaurav8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Suggestions pls for 2002 Coupe EX 70k maintenance

Hi,

I am reaching 70k on my 2002 Honda Civic coupe EX model. It has started showing Maintenance Required signal. It shows off when I start the car and then blinks 10 times. Does anyone have any suggestion on this? Is it only 70k maintenance or can be something more? Also I read somewhere that you need to change the timing belt after 110k or after 7yrs. How would I know if I really need to change it?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Suggestions pls for 2002 Coupe EX 70k maintenance

First off, check the manual and it will tell you your service schedule.

The Maintenance Required signal is usually an indicator that you need to get your oil changed, if its been less than 5000k or 3 months it means whoever changed your oil forgot to reset your maintenance indicator. There are instructions in your owners manual on how to reset it, it only takes 30 seconds.

As far as other maintenance.. it might be time to have these things check/changed:
Spark Plugs,
Air Filters,
Brake Fluid,
Transmission Fluid,
Brakes Pads/Discs,
Radiator Fluid.
Prob something I'm forgetting..
Old 08-04-2010
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Suggestions pls for 2002 Coupe EX 70k maintenance

Maint. Req'd light is like the guy above said, usually an oil change reminder. But the other stuff he listed to do wouldn't hurt. All that stuff is pretty easy for a beginner to do IMO. Timing belts, as far as Hondas go, seem to be around the 100k interval with normal driving conditions. As long as you aren't hooning the car every day, 100k should be fine. I don't know the warning signs of a worn TB, but it's better to do it sooner than get cheap and lazy and have it go on you.

Last edited by MelJ; 08-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.