Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

stabilizer links

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sam26092004 is an unknown quantity at this point
stabilizer links

My dealer said my front and rear stabilizer links are worn and loose and cl unking over bumps. And needs to be replaced ASAP. How crucial is this part to the car? There is some noise comes up from the front wheels when car runs on bumpy roads. Please help me.
Old 07-19-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: stabilizer links

you don't absolutely NEEEEEEED the sway bars, however the car will handle much differently without it.

I'd recommend replacing the links as soon as you can, but it isn't a huge urgent issue like the dealer made it out to be.

base model civics don't even HAVE the rear sway bar.
Old 07-19-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Like above said you do not need the sway bars though they make steering better. If you take them off the only thing that will change is either the under steer or over steer. The stabilizers or endlinks as people call them. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace so it wouldnt be a problem to replace them. So if you want to go ahead and replace them but dont get honda to do it they might try to rip you off like they always are. Its a real easy fix you can do it.
Old 07-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

You drive in the rain with no links and your guaranteed to crash.
Old 07-19-2010
HLC
Registered!!

HLC is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ um, no. w/o the sway bar(s), you'll just get more body roll around corners. and it'll handle a bit crappier.
Old 07-19-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lazlong
You drive in the rain with no links and your guaranteed to crash.
*facepalm*

You don't drive in the rain much, do you?
Old 07-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Sometimes it doesn't rain here for a couple months at a time in the summer but, that's beside the point. I learned to drive in D.C., where all the roads are circles and it snows every week in winter. I've driven through hail, a foot of snow (in a civic), and apparently I drove right by a tornado when it hit Fort Worth 7 of 8 years ago. I've been driving for 20 years, 10 as a deliveryman-with no wrecks. I have seen and driven in every kind of weather. It's not "more body roll around corners. and it'll handle a bit crappier" it's A LOT of body roll and it handles like crap. If you guys are so f n smart then take your links off (all 4) and go drive in the rain. Check your facts before you just start spewing useless bs. What a couple of maroons.
Old 07-20-2010
Registered!!

sam26092004 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all for replies.
Old 07-20-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lazlong
Sometimes it doesn't rain here for a couple months at a time in the summer but, that's beside the point. I learned to drive in D.C., where all the roads are circles and it snows every week in winter. I've driven through hail, a foot of snow (in a civic), and apparently I drove right by a tornado when it hit Fort Worth 7 of 8 years ago. I've been driving for 20 years, 10 as a deliveryman-with no wrecks. I have seen and driven in every kind of weather. It's not "more body roll around corners. and it'll handle a bit crappier" it's A LOT of body roll and it handles like crap. If you guys are so f n smart then take your links off (all 4) and go drive in the rain. Check your facts before you just start spewing useless bs. What a couple of maroons.
Maybe you need to go get your facts straight buddy. Go look up what they are used for. The real term for the bar is anti roll bar. It increases the suspension resistance to roll. If you take off the bar it will only loosen the steering alittle. Have you ever notice in 2 different cars one steering wheel can be alittle loose and easy to turn but the other is alittle stiffer and better to use.

The 2 functions of the anti roll bar is to reduce body lean. The other is to tune the handling balance of the car (understeer and oversteer).
So just cause you take them off and drive in the rain it will not make you wreck. Driving toi fast in the rain and hydro plain will make you wreck. You can do that with the sway bar on.