Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Timing Belt - How much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
songkrai is an unknown quantity at this point
Timing Belt - How much?

I did a search and can't seem to find an answer.

2005 Honda Civic LX.

I have read the manual and it states around 100,000 miles to change the timing belt. A little less if heavy driving - a little more if highway driving.

Some state: 60,000 miles.

I would have timing belt done by Honda dealer.

I know prices vary around the country. But what is a ball park figure do have the dealer replace the timing belt?

And what else should be changed when the timing belt is changed? What to most change at same time? Since front of engine is taken apart/off.

Thanks.

Yes, I am new here.

Last edited by songkrai; 12-26-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

wer814 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Timint Belt - How much?

I had a quote for around $600 up in northern New Hampshire... you're mainly paying for the labor of getting to the belt. And, it's good idea to change the water pump when changing the timing belt.
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by wer814
I had a quote for around $600 up in northern New Hampshire... you're mainly paying for the labor of getting to the belt. And, it's good idea to change the water pump when changing the timing belt.
Thanks.

Do I assume they put in new gaskets?

What about any belts?

I also read someplace else that there is a 'tensioner' and that should be replaced. Is that correct on a 2005 Honda?

Last edited by songkrai; 12-26-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

You want to change: Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioner, accessory belts, coolant (obviously), oil seals if you want are optional, personally I would only change them if they leak. Your looking at anywhere from $500-$800 - I have seen them go for that much to do a timing belt. You should look to spend no more then $600 even at a dealership. If you look hard enough someone will do it for that price at a dealer. You can probably get it done for maybe $300-$400 using aftermarket parts and a non dealer shop, its all up to you.
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

ive been quoted up to 1200 dollars at a stealership so don't get ripped off.
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by wer814
Thanks everyone.

I know of Grappone Honda in Concord. What dealership are you mentioning?
Old 12-26-2009
Registered!!

skatejosh369 will become famous soon enough

Are you from concord NC?
Old 12-27-2009
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lowlife9
ive been quoted up to 1200 dollars at a stealership so don't get ripped off.
Holy ****ing ****
Old 12-27-2009
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Timing Belt - How much?

I got a quote for $540 for the timing belt, water pump, and all the other belts. If i wanted to replace the 2 seals it's $40 additional.
Old 12-28-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Make sure you get the tensioner done as well. It's a stupid thing to have go wrong after all that work because you basically have to remove the belt the change it.
Old 12-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point

I had all of the belts changed for $600. Good advice from tbohar, get that tensioner done as well.
Old 12-28-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The local dealer said $630 +tx then told me they don't normally change the tensioner & only change the seals if they are leaking. Said they would credit the parts price for the 2 drive belts already done. With tax and their BS shop supplies fee for certain it would exceed $700.

Dealer 45mins away said $650-700 for belt, waterpump, tensioner & seals.

My local mechanic let me down, they are covered up right now with engine work on subies said he was not sure when he would be free. Sucks !
Old 12-29-2009
Registered!!

bnikanor is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, $600 for timing belt replacement?

in indonesia perhaps it can be done at USD 100. Our recommendation here is 80.000km, but i change it every 40.000-50.000km.
Old 12-29-2009
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Sounds like your confusing the timing belt for a drive or serpentine belt. Unless of course everything there is much cheaper than here.
Old 12-29-2009
Registered!!

$100 wont even cover the parts alone.. let alone labor.. tesnioner and water pump is a must when you do this job the seals are recommended but not necessary. Really good DIY on this forum I used in addition to the Chiltons book. Look it up.
Old 12-29-2009
Registered!!

Hondaguy89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the Civic engine an interference engine just out of curiosity?
Old 12-29-2009
Registered!!

Yes it is, if you mess up on aligning the camshaft and crankshaft your ****ed.
Old 12-30-2009
Registered!!

d0ughbOy81 is an unknown quantity at this point

i spent 160 on just parts thats with my honda discount and i did it my self but my boy thats a ase tech helped me alot
DONT GET THE CHEEP KITS GET ALL HONDA OEM PARTS is the best thing i can tell you

ohh and here in houston it was 1100 to have honda do it

Last edited by d0ughbOy81; 12-30-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

terrible2 is an unknown quantity at this point

is there anyway to tell if you do need a new water pump or timing belt and such?

Whats the worst that could happen if you dont change it?
Old 01-01-2010

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

It is best to change these items on time. If the belt breaks the engine will be damaged. If you fail to change the water pump or the tensioner they could fail and you would have to tear it all back apart.
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

Yeah, and the engine damage could be so bad that it would be worth it to get a whole new engine.. So, I plan on doing mine on time, still got about 10,000 miles left
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

Well shoot, is there anyone i could take it to to see if it needs replacing? I dont know if the PO did it
Old 01-01-2010
Registered!!

The timing belt itself is covered by a plastic shroud. If possible, contact the previous owner.. Sometimes, when a timing belt gets worn you can hear it squeaking, it can be more noticeable after a rain. If your going to change its recommended to also change other parts like the water pump and tensioner.
Old 01-02-2010

Originally Posted by terrible2
Well shoot, is there anyone i could take it to to see if it needs replacing? I dont know if the PO did it
What is the total mileage currently ??

Look at the 2 exposed drive belts, look closely at the ribbed inner area to see if there is any cracking present on the raised portion of them. (they are supposed to be changed at the same time as timing belt)

You could possibly pull the top cover & look at the belt, if it has been in a while you may not be able to determine age.
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

nope, no cracking it looks new.

its 99,500. Changed owners about 4 times now. Original owner crashed, a shady guy fixed i up (I dont know what corners he cut if he did but he was really shady and probably wont even claim he owned this vehicle) then he sold it to another girl at 78,000 and then me at 99,000. I could see how it was replaced after the accident, but I dont know for sure if it was. In fact I dont know if he somehow blocked any of the codes for the low gas light popping up or what.

I do have the red maintenance light that popped up, could be my brakes are going back but I have no idea on that either = \

There however is a oil leak somewhere on my engine as it is covered in oil, but theres no drips that come out the bottom. all my fluids have been checked except for my transmission, which im waiting to do somethings until my other car arrives.
Old 01-02-2010

Well, at 99.5k most likely it has not been done. It's a lot of $ and most people will avoid it if possible and the manual and window sticker do say 110k maintenance.

My 05 is currently at 105k not that far from your 05s mileage. I have been very easy on my car but it has seen a lot of use over 5 years. I feel confident that it will make it to 110k just fine.

I have read where people ran them 10-25k over before changing them out. I think you will be fine. If you are going to keep it, start saving money.
Old 01-02-2010
Registered!!

I would consider getting it done soon.
Old 01-12-2010
Registered!!

fatsheep is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my water pump and timing belt changed for $455 by a local mechanic for comparison's sake. Pep Boy's would have charged me $700 (this is for a Civic 98 EX).
Old 01-13-2010
Whachya lookin at?

85, 000 miles in terrible Canadian conditions and going strong. I will be replacing it in the spring, when the car will have 100, 000 miles...
Old 01-20-2010
Registered!!

CivicLoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Timing Belt - How much?

Originally Posted by fatsheep
I got my water pump and timing belt changed for $455 by a local mechanic for comparison's sake. Pep Boy's would have charged me $700 (this is for a Civic 98 EX).
Recently had my water pump, timing belt and coolant done--for $572.00. It also included an oil change. Most of the cost was labor.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt - How much?