Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Why is my 1st gear so hard to engage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obamargarine is an unknown quantity at this point
Why is my 1st gear so hard to engage?

The other gears go in easily but when I put it in 1st its like it's pushing its way through something. Is it supposed to be this way or is something broken?

Also when my engine is burning oil (light blue smoke) will I still pass state inspection, or will I have to get that fixed?
thanks
Old 11-17-2009
Registered!!

lipstix lesbian is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Why is my 1st gear so hard to engage?

i came here searching for answers about a similar problem.
when i reach for 4th gear it takes great effort but is still smooth even if it doesnt feel like i am completely into gear. Same thing has happened in 5th and it has even spit it out.
I presume since double clutching fixes it then it is a synchro issue.
Try pumping the clutch to engage first more easily perhaps?
Old 11-17-2009
Registered!!

Obamargarine is an unknown quantity at this point

Its cool, I figured out that it's only hard to engage when I'm moving.
thanks
Old 11-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

might be time to change the trans fluid. if its dirty it gets harder to shift. some oil burning is fine, but if you have visible emissions like blue smoke, you wont pass. prolly need new piston rings and valve seals.
Old 11-17-2009
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah my car is sometimes reluctant to go into 1st gear and sometimes reverse. 1st Gear is almost always when I'm moving, and it just slides in once I stop. I've had it refuse to go in though sometimes while I'm stopped too though.

Reverse is obviously always when I'm stopped.

How much would I expect to spend to get my trans fluid changed? Does it have to be done at the dealer? (I know it's best to use OEM fluid)
Old 11-17-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

$50? oem fluid is good, but alot of people use other stuff too. its not as picky as the auto trans where honda fluid is required.
Old 11-18-2009
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

could be a bent shift fork, happens in evos all the time.
Old 12-03-2009
Registered!!

serg92hatch is an unknown quantity at this point

try bleeding your clutch slave cylinder.
Old 12-03-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't be shifting into first gear when your moving anyway... if I'm even at a slight roll I still use second. I think first and reverse have some kind of safety on them that does not allow you to shift into it easily. I'm not 100% sure of this but it makes sense as my car does the same thing. So I guess my suggestion is if your rolling use second.
Old 12-03-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^Yep.

Your first gear has a lock out on it so that you don't accidentally mis-shift into third, and actually end up in first. Same with reverse- if you accidentally shift into reverse while your moving you'll tear your transmission apart.

Nothing is wrong with your car or transmission if you cant shift into first or reverse while moving. Its for your cars safety. If your at a complete dead stop and it wont shift in, then you have an issue ...which was prob due to you forcing it into first while slightly in motion. Heads up, reverse is always tricky to get into, and might take a second attempt to fully engage, after all it is a civic.
Old 12-03-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
$50? oem fluid is good, but alot of people use other stuff too. its not as picky as the auto trans where honda fluid is required.
I went back on the honda MTF. It's thinner than the 10w30 some people run, giving better gas mileage. It says a lot about the fluid that it's thinner yet equivelant (or better) than 10w30
Old 12-03-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Obamargarine
The other gears go in easily but when I put it in 1st its like it's pushing its way through something. Is it supposed to be this way or is something broken?

Also when my engine is burning oil (light blue smoke) will I still pass state inspection, or will I have to get that fixed?
thanks
What do you call those bushing things on your shift linkage. If it's worn, then what's happening is that the shift rod isn't twisting counter clockwise enough, so when the rod goes rearward the arm is running into one of the other forks. (I'm too tired to be writing this)
Old 12-04-2009
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

There are two different bushings for a manual tranny that you can replace

The first ones are the ones directly under your shifter, they stop the shifter from physically rocking back and forth while your shift.

The second ones are the bushings in the shifter cables. These compress when you throw the shifter forward or pull it back, likewise if you push the shifter to the right or left.

On my 7thgen I replaced both of them with aluminum bushings from strutking.