09 Honda Civic LX Oil Changing - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-28-2009   #1
Registered!!

jlb276 is an unknown quantity at this point
09 Honda Civic LX Oil Changing

I just got a brand new Honda Civic LX and I'm wondering how often to change the oil. I've signed up for maintenance minder, and it's the first thing on the list. I've only had this car a week. When should I change the oil for the first time? And is it really that important to go to a dealer to do this? I want to be sure I follow the maintenance schedule to the tee since I'm leasing.
jlb276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #2
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: 09 Honda Civic LX Oil Changing

GENERALLY, you want to do it evey 5000 miles (anyone who changes them at 3000 miles is either has too much $$$ to blow or is an idiot who likes to waste money). oils now a days are very sophisticated, especially synthetic oils.

so just change them every 5000miles with a quality oil filter such as an OEM honda filter or Mobil 1 filter and you are good to go. your honda will last you up to 800,000 miles like that guy with the 03 hybrid with 800,000 miles..
sl33pyriceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #3
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

btw, i say 5000 miles change interval, but thats just AVERAGE. one will not know how good his/her oil still is UNLESS he or she sends it to an oil analysis to get it tested.

most oils that are tested (especially synthetic) last easily to 8000 miles.

oh, one more thing before i shut up, most oils will break down GREATLY around the 800mile mark. after 800 miles, the oil breakdown is slow n steady.
sl33pyriceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #4
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah 5k is about average for normal driving. i would even say upto 7.5k wont hurt anything but you are pushing the limits of the filter. once it gets full, oil will just bypass it and continue circulating in the engine with the junk inside.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #5
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

since you lease the car, just follow the MM and it says change oil at 15%...just cycle through to get the oil life percentage and change at 15%...the one at the odometer...
Devani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #6
Registered!!

ottotheclown is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember the guy said he was leasing... so just go to the 15% mark on your OLM. Do not spend anything more than you have to. Honda oil, honda filter.
ottotheclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #7
Registered!!

jlb276 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, all, this is very helpful!
jlb276 is offline   Reply With Quote