Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

change cabin filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hurtingbad is an unknown quantity at this point
change cabin filter

i have a 2004 honda civic dx model.I have never changed the cabin filter myself and was wondering is it very difficult?
Old 08-20-2009
Registered!!

madAd is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: change cabin filter

Nah, piece of cake. Just open your glovebox, there are two tab things that hold it up. Just turn those tabs and they pull out. Then the glovebox will drop all the way open. Then there is a cover( black plastic), you just pull that outward, then you'll see the filters behind it. The first one you pull straight out, the second one you have to slide over to where you pulled the first one out of, the nslide it out. The filters I bought just replaced the paper part which pulls out of the plastic casing. I don't know if some of them replace the plastic too or not.
Old 08-20-2009
Registered!!

Thank you for your answer.I think that I will give it a try tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its in the owners book too. but yeah just pop the lil holders out and the glove box falls. be sure you put the new filters in the same way and catch the ends into the plastic tray so they stay in place. the arrows should point up i believe for direction of airflow.
Old 08-21-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

dang my car's got 130k and i have never changed my air filters....hahahah i think i better get on that.
Old 08-21-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wow, i change mine yearly and think i waited too long lol
Old 08-21-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Lets see some pictures of those original filters, That's got to be a sight.

I change mine every 25k and clean them out half way through and they are very dirty even then.
Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

I would like to thank MadAd for your answer.I too got filters that replaced the paper part.it was really easy to do.My filters were very dirty.I did find out it pays to call around.I got prices from $15.00 to $40.00 for the filters.
Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

I did look in the owners manual,and all it said was to have the filters changed by your dealer evey 30,000 miles.There was no instructions on how to change the filters.
Old 08-21-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Changed mine at about 70,000 kilometers for the first time.

Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I thought mine were bad..holy crap
Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

Yeah, I was real smart. I just changed mine at 161,000. Never thought it would make that big of a difference. Boy was I wrong, 10x the air flow now. I just never had a car with a cabin air filter, I'm used to old-school.
Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

My dad just bought a Vibe, and changed his filter. There was a dried out mouse baby laying on it. Better keep up on that maintenance.
Old 08-21-2009
Premium Member

mine usually just has bees, flies, and a bunch of those helicopter seeds lol
Old 08-21-2009
Registered!!

Yeah, same thing here. Those fricking helicopters show up in the weirdest places.
Old 08-21-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine had a portion of a bird in it. At least half of it anyway. I waited about, 60, 000 kms and it was way.. way .. way too long.
Old 08-25-2009
Registered!!

01civictune is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the filters really do work!
Old 08-25-2009
Registered!!

cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point

I change mine a couple of times a year. They are $29 at my local stealership. After the first change about four years ago, I puchased a top quality furnace filter for $20 that had a metal mesh on both sides of the paper. I cut out the filter to fit. I have cut out eight filters from the same furnace filter and have at least four filters left on it. I am not sure that the metal mesh is necessary but I wanted it to be secure. Yah, I'm cheap!
Old 08-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by cb450sc
I change mine a couple of times a year. They are $29 at my local stealership. After the first change about four years ago, I puchased a top quality furnace filter for $20 that had a metal mesh on both sides of the paper. I cut out the filter to fit. I have cut out eight filters from the same furnace filter and have at least four filters left on it. I am not sure that the metal mesh is necessary but I wanted it to be secure. Yah, I'm cheap!
Great idea, man. I might have to try that.
Old 08-27-2009
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

yep that would definitely work. basically the only difference between the cabin filters of different cars, is the size of them and whether they 'fit' in place. if you could find any filter that would fit in place it will work. i never even thought of getting a regular furnace filter and just cutting it to size. that definitely would work. i think i might try that next time to see what happens.
Old 09-29-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 6th gen and want to replace my cabin filter. So I mosey on over to AutoZone and they punch my model into the computer and they tell me my car does not have a cabin air filter. I go to Advance Auto Parts, same deal. Are they right???
Old 09-29-2009
Premium Member

hmm it might be possible you dont have one. i think they started in 2001 putting the filters in. you can check behind the glove box by removing the two side holder things so the box folds down to the floor. then look for a door that you can pull off and see if theres place for filter.
Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

eLChiCho25 is an unknown quantity at this point

My dealer wanted $100 to replace them.. Nuts.
Old 02-28-2010
Premium Member

lol i got the napa envirosafe twin pack for $20 and installed in less than a minute with no tools. and theyre better than the honda filters.
Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...item19b727b77b

$9 on ebay... i'm crossing my fingers...
Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

skittlesbsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got an '02 DX without ac... so there's no cabin filter installed, just empty black trays. Is there any benefit to adding one? Or does the air not even flow through the cabin filter area?
Old 03-01-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by skittlesbsa
I've got an '02 DX without ac... so there's no cabin filter installed, just empty black trays. Is there any benefit to adding one? Or does the air not even flow through the cabin filter area?
You could take the gamble and throw a pair in and then within a couple of weeks of using the heater & fan pull them back out and you will know, they would have some dirt and maybe even some debris present very quickly if they are filtering. I would say the air path would be the same with or without A/C. Just the filters are not present.

Anyone ever make their own using the furnace filter material from the hardware store ?? I plan on doing some checking on the possibility of doing so.
Old 03-01-2010
Registered!!

Protan988 is an unknown quantity at this point

The air does go through those filters. Yours were just never installed for whatever reason. I would go pick some up and install them. It keeps your car cleaner the air you breather cleaner and it will make your blower motor happier too.
Old 04-18-2010
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

117k. . I had never changed mine. . So I decided it was time. Walmart has cabin filters now for like $20 bucks. How nice!

So I finally changed them. It was soo easy, I feel dumb for not changing them sooner. They were filthy. I'm anxious to see if there is any noticeable difference in air quality, because of how bad they were.
Old 04-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i have heard of people using foam also.

Quick Reply: change cabin filter