civic 04 ATF fluid - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2009   #1
Registered!!

dhkimboa is an unknown quantity at this point
civic 04 ATF fluid

hello i need to change the ATF fluid which i believe it's the automatic transmission fluid. What oil should i use for it? can I do it myself? Keep in mind that I live in mexico so some brands of fluids I might not get down here ty
dhkimboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #2
30 Years Driving Japanese Autos

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: civic 04 ATF fluid

Only Honda ATF-Z1
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #3
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ya honda fluid and a 3/8 ratchet are all you need. loosen bolt, let fluid drain, tighten bolt, add about 3 qts fluid from dipstick hole, drive car around its it warmed up, and check the level to be sure its full. if car isnt lowered, usually you can squeeze under there without lifting the car on jackstands.the drain plug has a square key and is somewhere on the passenger side of the engine bay under the car.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #4
Registered!!

hello guys for your answers
do i have to go to honda's agency to get the fluid? or can i get it at somewhere else?

is this a ratchet? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratchet_(device)
Old 05-22-2009   #5

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

u dont know what a regular ratchet is? The one that u put sockets on..not the big or the small one the one in the middle lol 3/8. Only Honda sells honda fluid. Auto stores do not sell it.
04 Honda Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #6
Registered!!

may be I just dont know the word in english
so i guess i'll have to go to honda's for that fluid ^^

so no synthetic fluid for it?
Old 05-22-2009   #7

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

http://alloy-artifacts.com/Photos/to..._w560_h298.jpg
ah I didnt know english wasnt your first language..thats a ratchet.

Just use Honda ATF I wouldnt risk anything else and its not crazy expensive. U only need 3 quarts.

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 05-23-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2009   #8
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i guess its also called 'socket wrench' lol. except you dont need the sockets, just the wrench with square tip. 3/8 inch. actually you may also need a cheater pipe because usually the bolt is stuck pretty good. just get a straight exhaust pipe a couple feet long that you can put on end of the wrench so you have a longer handle with more leverage.
Old 05-23-2009   #9
Registered!!

that was what you meant O_O a wrench *_* i didn't know they were called ratchet as well
yeah... english it's my third language hehe

ty for your advice guys!! it was pretty much helpful!! I'll go on Monday to buy some H ATF I for my AT ty ty guys!
Old 05-23-2009   #10

its Honda not H lol I miss typed
Old 05-23-2009   #11
Registered!!

hahahahah damm thought that was weird xdddd ty for your help guys!
Old 06-01-2009   #12
Registered!!

how much does it cost in usa? cause i took the car on Saturday and they called me today along with other things they're gonna do to the car
just for the fluid it's gonna be like 65 bucks O_O I think it was only the steering fluid
Old 06-01-2009   #13

umm around $6-7 a quart. But you only need 3 so its really not that expensive $65 USD is crazy for 3 quarts of tranny oil..at that price they should be including the labor as well..maybe you misunderstood them?
Old 06-02-2009   #14
Registered!!

guess so i went there and checked it wasnt that expensive but those ****ers charged me for 40.000 kms service ? 2 months ago i did the 70.000 kms service... I will call them tomorrow WOW....
Old 06-02-2009   #15
Premium Member

i had to buy one bottle to top off moms trans, the bottle is $8 now!