Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Scheduled maintenance for car driven 2K miles per year?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minnesota Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Scheduled maintenance for car driven 2K miles per year?

Maintenance schedules are problematic to me because I drive my 2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition, which was purchased new in March 2006, a mere 2K miles a year.

I'm going in for the 50K or 3-year maintenance in a week. The odometer just rolled over to 6K. I have no problems with the car and never have.

As I have done every year, I will replace the engine oil and filter and check all fluid levels and the condition of fluids. I will replace the brake fluid-- Honda recommends this at 3 years independent of mileage--and maybe the air cleaner element. I see no reason to rotate the tires until the odometer hits 10K (the car doesn't sit for weeks at a time; the low mileage is due to the fact that I'm retired and rarely need to go anywhere more than 3 miles from home).

Because there were only 4K miles on the car when I last brought it in to the dealer for maintenance (30K or 2 years), I skipped a lot of what was recommended by Honda then, namely:

1. Inspect and adjust drive belts.
2. Replace dust and pollen filter.
3. Check front and rear brake wear
4. Check tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and gearbox boots.
5. Inspect suspension components.
6. Check driveshaft boots.
7. Check brake hoses and lines.
8. Check for fluid leaks.
9. Check exhaust system.
10.Check fuel lines and connections.

Aware that dealers like to "build the ticket" and charge plenty for their efforts, I would appreciate input from forum participants who can advise me if there is any real need to do any of the above-listed 10 items at this time. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Scheduled maintenance for car driven 2K miles per year?

no need to check any of those things. if something happens then you fix it. the pollen filters you should change every 5-10k miles. they get dirty fast.drive belts usually last 100k or 10 yrs, brakes whenever the pads are low, and there is really nothing else to check. if something leaks, chances are you will figure it out when it happens.
Old 04-14-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Visual Checks are always good, but u are only at 6k, so your car is still in virgin-princess mode, so nothing major is gonna happen.

I rotate tires like every 10-10k based on wear
I change oil every 3-5k based on driving patterns, and color of oil.
I have never replaced the brake fluid
Never replaced the Cabin Air Filters
I guess i replaced the engine air filter when i installed by air intake, but that was at 75k

But like i said before visual inspections are just a random precaution. Dont go to the stealership to pay 50+ dollars for them to look at your car, especially with such low mileage.
Old 04-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well my last post didnt make it...basically yeah most of those things you just wait til they break. inspecting wont tell you anything. pollen filter can be replaced 5-10k miles, brakes check em when they get low, thats about it.