Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Intermediate Service Cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jonestee is an unknown quantity at this point
Intermediate Service Cost

Honda Civic 2003 at 52,170. I schedule an oil change and they told me I was due for an "intermediate service" at the cost of $339. They told me it would be an oil change, new air filter, "topping off fluids", wheel rotation/alignment/who knows what. Is this service completely ridiculous? An oil change and filter is no more that $75!! What is my general approach when it comes to these things, me vs. the Honda service dept? Do I constantly decline things other than an oil change? Is there a list out there of what I need done with the approximate prices?
Thank you, Jonestee
Old 04-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Intermediate Service Cost

yeah its stupid. the dealer should have a list of things that need to be done at certain mileages, but really all i would do is get a $15 air filter from the auto store (napa has great ones) and install yourself, then get the oil change done. The filter is $5 and oil is maybe $10-15. if its been more than 3 yrs, the brake fluid should be flushed. other than that nothing really to do.
Old 04-03-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

any oil change and filter should be no more than $20 (most mech will do it for you for 20 or less on ur civic)

or just learn to do it urself!
Old 04-03-2009
Registered!!

mrplow123456 will become famous soon enoughmrplow123456 will become famous soon enough

Your user manual that came with the car has a list of everything that should be done at certain mileage. I would highly recommend getting it done too for extended life out of your car. Obviously, an oil change is a must but I would rotate the tires and check/top off your fluids as well. I believe you need a new air filter at 50k along with a coolant fluash. At 75k you need to get a lot of work done too so just keep up with your car as much as you can and at every "service point" it will be cheaper over all.

At $339 it seems to be expensive but at the same time its not that bad. If you don't know how to do any of it yourself I would highly recommend going to the dealer as a regular garage will charge you less but not by much. I would highly recommend you learn to do things yourself as most things are very simple and quick.
Old 04-03-2009
Registered!!

shadymechanic is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can't do it yourself then take a course at a local vocational school at night. In the meantime maybe you have a find you can help you out for a favor. You'll save at least 250.oo if you do it yourself.