Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

09 Civic LE.. good car ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roger t is an unknown quantity at this point
09 Civic LE.. good car ?

I am a senior citizen, have a 98 Civic LE that I bought new, 65K. miles. Great mileage & maintenance free. I am debating about keeping it & just replacing the timing belt, hoses, other belts, etc. I need a very dependable car that is not going to break down in the middle of nowhere. Now, I am considering trading it in on a new Civic LE, Corolla, or Mazda 3. I thought with all the expertise on this forum, maybe I could get the pros & cons on these models, especially the 09 Civic . I have heard that the Corolla doesn't even have an oil filter..true ?
Roger
Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough
Re: 09 Civic LE.. good car ?

Well Civics never breaks down in the middle of the road like fords or chevys do. Investing in for a 09 Civic will last u a lifetime.

Pros: Cheap Quality Parts, Tons of After market accessories, will live strong for "atleast" 15 yrs/200,000+ mileage if taken cared off properly, easy to find honda dealerships everywhere for any issues, extremely comfortable, very stylish, doesn't give up instantly.

Cons: Only thing I can think of is when u buy a New Civic, they usually come with cheap tires, if u live in snowy area I suggest you buy better tires after buying the civic. And that's about it!
Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply Street King. How does the Civic compare with the Corolla ?
Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by roger t
Thanks for the reply Street King. How does the Civic compare with the Corolla ?
Not gonna Lie, Corollas are pretty good for driving, but Civics are heck of alot more stylish. U can only do certain things with corollas, but with civics possibilities are endless.

Civics also has alot more resale value then corollas. Plus depends on which engine u wud prefer. I think corollas use VVT-i. My sister has a corolla and I have driven it many times, believe me the experience is totally different when I get in my civic.
Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Reliability between a civic and a corolla is not going to vary. Both are great cars and will last you for 200k miles at least. I don't know how mazda reliability is doing these days but I think they are stepping it up though.

How much would you sell your 98 for? You'd probably get a good price for it.
Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

ABS929CBRRR is an unknown quantity at this point

65K is low miles for a 98. i bought a 04 civic in 2004 anf got 85K on it now. only problem i have had is 2 head light bulbs burn out.....stay with civic...them japs can really design these cars good!

you have to weigh the cost of insurance and what not on the new car vs keeping the older one little while longer....i see 20 year old civic in town all the time, if you have kept up with the car i really dont see the need to get a new car.
Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

I am looking at "blue book" for an asking price. I think I will decide wheither to trade or not depending on what these local dealers will offer. I am trying to do my homework, so that I will recognize if it's a good deal or not, otherwise I'll keep it.
Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by roger t
I am looking at "blue book" for an asking price. I think I will decide wheither to trade or not depending on what these local dealers will offer. I am trying to do my homework, so that I will recognize if it's a good deal or not, otherwise I'll keep it.
Sell it Locally. 98 Civic with 65K will sell like hot cake. Dealers will just rip u off!
Old 02-06-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i would say keep the old civic you have and fix it up if it needs it. after 2000, the quality really started going down hill and youre gonna have alot of things to worry about right away (recalls, tsbs, etc).
Old 02-06-2009
Registered!!

97EK will become famous soon enough

I've got a 97 Civic DX that just hit 71,000 miles, and I love it. I just had the timing belt, pumps and seals replaced about 2 months ago, and everything still runs flawlessly.

Personally, I'd keep the 98 Civic you have. Getting the timing belt, pumps, hoses, and seals taken care of will be a worth-while investment. Especially with mileage that low, you'll be able to keep that car for quite a long time. However, if you do decide to get a new car, I'd recommend selling your 98 locally, as it is a very popular car. It would be a shame for a dealer to give you pennies for such a low mileage car.

Also, if you do end up getting a new car, go with Honda! The new Civics are absolutely beautiful! (Especially in comparison to the bland Toyota and Mazda).

Best of luck with your 6th gen EK!
Old 02-07-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for all your inputs..I think i will get an estimate on replacing the belts, hoses, etc, then check out the local dealers & go from there. Selling it myself is a good option.
Roger
Old 02-25-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

is LE similar to SE?
Old 02-25-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

one of the best things about getting a new civic is all the technology and cool/wonderful things that come to it. it just makes driving alot more enjoyable.

if money is not the issue, sell ur 98, and get the newer civics.

if u do decide to buy it, go on a friday night about an hr or two before they close. they get real desperate and want to make a quick sale fast. just my .02 ive learned from a family car-sales man