Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

removing foam sticker from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
removing foam sticker from wheels

okay i have alot of that adhesive foam stuff that held on previous wheel weights for balancing, now they are stuck there and i cant get it to come off without scraping at it for hours. googone didnt do anything... so idk, any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Re: removing foam sticker from wheels

There is this home remedy:

http://www.ehow.com/video_13445_remove-stickers.html

Or there are a bunch of other chemical removers that might work such as:

http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hmm yeah something that wont damage the wheels lol. i should mention that its not just a small piece, its a total of about 12 inch of sticky stuff with foam on top. i guess i could try the alcohol that shouldnt ruin anything.
Old 02-14-2008

pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
hmm yeah something that wont damage the wheels lol. i should mention that its not just a small piece, its a total of about 12 inch of sticky stuff with foam on top. i guess i could try the alcohol that shouldnt ruin anything.
Do you a pic of the stuff you're trying to get off? What is the finish on your wheels? I guess maybe I'm thinking about something else. Foam adhesive?
Old 02-14-2008
Premium Member

you know the foam adhesive that is double sided sticky, well it sticks very well, but if you ever try and pull it off, the foam breaks before the adhesive does. so some of the foam sticks to the weight you pull off, but most is still stuck to the rim. rims are gloss black.
Old 02-14-2008

Next option:

WD-40 and a Hair Dryer.

Hit the area with WD-40 let it absorb for a few minutes. Get some heat on it and see if it will become plyable enough to remove. Use your fingernails and remember too much heat will mess with paint and make it easier to scratch so be careful.

WD-40 will not hurt paint, I promise.

A cold surface makes glue and crap hard to get off, so heat is important.

Last edited by pheaton; 02-14-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2008

Oh look, here is a guy using the same technique on his motorcycle to get a sticker off of the fuel tank.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tec...int/index.html

Hope it works, sounds like you're dealing with some real crap there.
Old 02-14-2008
A long winded 7th genr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond reputeEyger has a reputation beyond repute

Take a wet rag, with warm water and soak it good. Let the rag sit on the foam for a while, 10-15 minutes to get it saturated. Then you should be able to scrape it off easily.
Old 02-14-2008
Premium Member

maybe ill wait for summer lol
Old 02-14-2008
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

goto a local parts supplier of 3M and get an adhesive remover from them... its called 3m adhesive remover! i use it at my job...Discount tire and it's wonders... it's like $12 a can!
Old 02-14-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

^I have some of that stuff in my frame shop its great it's also usually relabeled as paint thinner, or mineral spirits which will take off most adhesives in a couple of sec when applied with a towel or rag
Old 02-14-2008
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

thats why its prolly $12 retail.... so try it gearbox and you know what to do! b/c itlll work once the fluid is soaked into the adhesive.... itll Bounty away!
Old 02-15-2008
Premium Member

nice ill search around for that
Old 02-15-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

sweet info here!!!

Last edited by 02BLKCIVIC; 02-15-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2008
The World Is Yours!

you betcha... i promise itlll work.. unless you got some painty areas on it too! but it's pretty durable and strong stuff...and just dont let it get into flames... it fun stuff and i accidentally blew up my old can...lol
Old 02-15-2008

Gearbox your wheels are painted though right? You don't want something that is relabled paint thinner do you?
Old 02-15-2008
Premium Member

i need to read the ingredients yea. if theres anything like there is in paint thinner/laquer thinner, i wont get it. like no acetone, etc.
Old 02-15-2008
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice

Just find somebody with a heat gun, borrow it. Get things nice and hot and scrape. it will come off nice and easy.
Old 02-15-2008

I'm thinking heat is a definate necessity. And like I said WD-40 might help things along.
Old 02-15-2008
Premium Member

okay thanks. i have heat gun but no way to plug it in.. ill wait til summer then
Old 02-15-2008
The World Is Yours!

im telling you gearbox... we always use it and just dab it on the paper towel(bounty) and wipe away...dont try and splash it on there!
Old 02-15-2008
Premium Member

okay well if it strips the rims you can buy me new ones
Old 02-15-2008
The World Is Yours!

what are the sticker weights on the spokes... comeon... use lightly on a paper towel or rag...and rub till gone! when ive used it... ive never removed the paint from the wheels
Old 02-16-2008
Premium Member

okay will give it a try. i need to check a few more places.
Old 02-16-2008
Premium Member

great +1 to you, 3m stuff stripped the whole foam and sticker right off lol. took about 10 mins for all four rims then i got sad when i saw all the screwdriver chips and scratches from the shop trying to pry the weights off
Old 02-17-2008
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

where did you end up findning the 3M remover? i need some of that for the same reason as you.
Old 02-17-2008
Premium Member

farm and fleet, in the glue/epoxy section. i think a hardware store may have it in the paint section with all the other containers of acetone and stuff.
Old 02-18-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

coooool