Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Steering oil/fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horton is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering oil/fluid

Hi,

Ii'm noob to this forum and also new to automobile.

I would like to ask where is the steering Oil/fluid tank located?

I have a Honda Civic 95 Esi.

pls help.I'm having problems with my steering, it gets harder and harder to steer as if its not a power steering.

Next question is what is the best steering oil brand?
how do I change/refil it?
if it really ran out, does it mean it have leaked or it just been consumed?
Old 12-20-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: Steering oil/fluid

wow, welcome to the site, get yourself a haynes manual from a local parts store, and read over routine maintenance, but for now, go to wal-mart or a parts store, and get honda power steering fluid, and there should be a reservoir under your hood with a red cap, which will be power steering fluid, add some till it is at the full line, here is an example, minus the green sock covering it:
Old 12-20-2007
Registered!!

Wow!thanks for welcoming me and for answering my questions.

I already found it.=)

But it reads below minimum already!!!!OMG i really need to buy asap.

Can I just buy any cheaper steering oil other than honda civic steering oil?

Can i just pour it myself?or do I need a technician to do it for me?BecAuse i don't know if I have to drain the remaining oil first before I pour new ones.

thanks again for reply.
Old 12-20-2007
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

buy honda, its why there is specific oil for it, honda is the only company to my knowledge that has its own powersteering fluid, just pour it in, its easy, no u dont have to drain it, and u probably have a leak if its that low
Old 12-20-2007
Registered!!

spudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nicespudz904 is just really nice

you can just pour it yourself..there isn't any technical know-how involved, its pretty straight up. I'd once in awhile go around and check all the fluid levels in the car to make sure you don't get any nasty surprises. I.E. brake fluid, coolant, power steering, oil, trans fluid etc.
One of the best and easiest ways to make sure your car lasts a while is consistently change the oil....i do it after every 3000 miles but some like to wait til 5000

i personally only use all honda fluid in my car. i dunno about a 6thgen but in the 7thgen manuel it advises to only use honda fluid....something about other fluids could cause damage or be corrosive to the lines....i don't really know too much about that. I bought 2 containers of honda power steering fluid for 7 bucks its not that expensive...
If your unsure about anything just search the site its full of alot of useful info and alot of ppl on here are willing to help. Welcome to the site
Old 12-20-2007
Registered!!

thank you very much guys.

I will buy honda power steering fluid instead.

Thanks. Thanks Thanks...=)
Old 12-20-2007
Banned

anytime, welcome to the site, and dont forget the search button up top, its wonderful, and will save u some grief in the future
Old 12-21-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Just FYI, Honda PS fluid is ridiculously expensive in the UK (I don't know why) so I've been using normal generic PS fluid for three years now and have had no problems with it.
Old 12-21-2007
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

you can also get aftermarket power steering fluid formulated for honda, just be sure it says so on the label. there are a few brands out there that have it.
Old 12-28-2007
Registered!!

thanks guys I already added power steering fluid and my steering wheel works better. Also I noticed that the level never dropped since i filled up to upper level so i assumed theres no leak. The previous lowering may have been caused by evaporATION or i dont know. My father said that since he bought it last 1997 he never checked the steering fluid.=)

now its ok.=)

thanks!