Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Civic takes a while to start then shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matrixmonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic takes a while to start then shuts down

Hi all great forum.
My 1990 honda civic shut off on me just as I stopped at an intersection. When I try to start, the engine tumbles for a little while, then finally starts rough, and as I start to accelerate it shuts off, its like its losing power. I changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor and still the same.
Could it be the fule pump, filter or relay?? Please help anyone. Thank you.
Old 11-03-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Civic takes a while to start then shuts down

possibly low fuel pressure, maybe a clogged intake system or idle air valve/tb/fast idle thermo valve depending on what you have. idk, try cleaning out the intake system parts, then get a fuel gauge and check the pressure.
Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

EGR or PCV maybe?
just shootin ideas....
Old 11-03-2007
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Check the fuel pump relay
Old 11-04-2007
Registered!!

mauri503rida is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Civic takes a while to start then shuts down

85 % percent of the times whan your car starts doing this kind of crap is the fuel pump relay or the bypass valve .the fuel pump relay is in a very facking hidden god i hated it when it happened to me that relay is right behind the little handle that you use to open your hood and it will look kinda like this .
http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm so good luck hope you get it fixed .