Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
Air Filter

Hey guys whats a good air filter to use for our stock air intakes? i dont want to buy a crappy oem one. but i have never heard of a good one to use that is aftermarket. any good choices? thanks.
Old 04-11-2007
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air Filter

i've heard pretty good things about the K&N drop in filter.
Old 04-11-2007
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted

k&n or fram
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

JeesunUltra is an unknown quantity at this point

definitely k&n
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

k&n is honestly one of the best and cheapest upgrades. when I had a d17, I put one in and instantly saw an increase in gas mileage. then again, I also really needed a filter.

buy the recharger kit and just keep cleaning it, that way it'll eventually pay for itself.
Old 04-11-2007
Official Wish He Knew It All

HyeHonda05 will become famous soon enough

K&N are the way to go.......they will def pay themselves off in the long run
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

flipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enoughflipmoderacer02 will become famous soon enough

k&n
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

em2k3 is an unknown quantity at this point

k&n
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point

k&n ftw. i just got one and put it in yesterday. more expensive, but you can't go wrong with k&n.
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

skoot is an unknown quantity at this point

be careful with the K&N. The oil from the filter can sometimes make the tb dirty inside the flap. Take your finger and push the flap on the tb open and look and see if there is carbon build up (black greezy stuff). That's from the oil on the filter...just a thought
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough

I would stay away from K&N. The performance gains in our cars would be minimal, if anything, and they don't filter very well at all. Personally i use napa gold, and fram's air filters are actually pretty good.
Old 04-11-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

napa gold ftw, stock is good too but why not get a bit better quality one. you guys know K&N voids warranty now right? 92% filtration does not meet oem requirement (98%) for air filtration.
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

JMUCivic03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
napa gold ftw, stock is good too but why not get a bit better quality one. you guys know K&N voids warranty now right? 92% filtration does not meet oem requirement (98%) for air filtration.
Really? How did you get that #? Im sure they dont advertise that one on the box, lol. But gearbox, if you say it, I believe it. I was seriously going to buy a K&N sometime this week for a replacement, but I guess thats a no go now. Do aftermarket intakes have the same problem? Ultimatly I was looking to get a short ram that works well and is relativly quiet this summer when I am working over my car. I heard decent things about the K&N FIPK.
Old 04-11-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have a weapon-r intake with oiled foam filter, it works much better than a k&N and prolly better than paper. also aem now only sells their intakes with dryflow paper cone filters which are also good. you can usually trade filters tho if you still want the actual K&N intake pipe.
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

i have a weapon-r intake with oiled foam filter, it works much better than a k&N and prolly better than paper. also aem now only sells their intakes with dryflow paper cone filters which are also good. you can usually trade filters tho if you still want the actual K&N intake pipe.
Well I was wondering if the FIPK was good, since its over 200. It was the only one that I saw that had a shield around the filter, which is always nice I suppose. I just want something that isnt going to make my car sound like a lawnmower and MAYBE give me a LITTLE low or high end kick. Sorry to hijack thread.
Old 04-11-2007
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JMUCivic03
Well I was wondering if the FIPK was good, since its over 200. It was the only one that I saw that had a shield around the filter, which is always nice I suppose. I just want something that isnt going to make my car sound like a lawnmower and MAYBE give me a LITTLE low or high end kick. Sorry to hijack thread.
I have the K&N FIPK2 and I like it very much. It does not sound like a lawnmower/weedwhacker etc. at all.
Old 04-11-2007
Premium Member

ive tried both typhoon and fipk, they were both too noisy like aem v1, so i went with weapon-r and its much better sounding and not nearly as much noise. i mostly hear the exhaust.
Old 04-12-2007
Registered!!

ive tried both typhoon and fipk, they were both too noisy like aem v1, so i went with weapon-r and its much better sounding and not nearly as much noise. i mostly hear the exhaust.
Spent the last couple of hours reading reviews, seems like the FIPK and the secret weapon both got good reviews. FIPK comes with a heat shield....but racinglab.com has the secret weapon intake with a cleaning kit and the ram air add on kit for 208.95...cheaper than I can find the FIPK. Tough choices!
Old 04-12-2007

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough

just put in my K&N today. noticed very little difference in power, i wasnt expecting any. sounds a little different. will check gas mileage as soon as i empty a tank. sometimes that takes awhile
Old 04-16-2007

update: i am now getting around 44mpg highway and about 32 city. about 4 mpg better than before. so to anybody else, i would say go for it.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough

I have a K&N drop in and I love it. Helped my milage a lil bit plus I haven't had to replace my air filter because of it, its already starting to pay off.
I really don't care if it voids the warrenty since I don't have it....
Old 04-16-2007
Living Life Turn After Turn

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough

honestly, i dont uderstand how people can tell that K&N adds noticably more power or even milage (my driving varies day to day.... but still!!! :P) yeah, it might add more air flow but it's oiled. i used K&N in the past and couldnt really tell any difference. maybe throttle responce????? but then again.... our D17 will not gain little if anything. i've also discovered after i changed that yes, i now have carbon build up on my throttle body which really bothers me. i also read that the oil on the filter also coats the air sensor and messes with the management. also K&N has better air flow(i do agree), but filtration isnt all that great.

i've currently been running FRAM filter for about 3 days now and i'm yet to test out my milage.

Dont get me wrong, i really have nothing against K&N filters, other than the fact that the oil dirtied up my throttle body and is kinda costly and requires cleaning with their "recharge kit". saying that it pays off in the long run is kinda not too true too considering the recharge is like what? $7? Fram is like $12 at walmart. if you like/trust K&N go for it.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

HotShotMedic is an unknown quantity at this point

just get oem, cheap and does what honda wants it to do.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

i like my pipercross foam air filter.
Old 04-16-2007
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 04civic07
honestly, i dont uderstand how people can tell that K&N adds noticably more power or even milage
yeah, it's probably not so much the k&n as it is a NEW filter. i'm sure when you put any new air filter in, it feels like you have a little more power. I mean, look at the old filter! Mine was pretty nasty. Any new filter = clean = better airflow. I'm no engineer, but it makes sense.

Originally Posted by 04civic07
i've also discovered after i changed that yes, i now have carbon build up on my throttle body which really bothers me.
hmmmm...this concerns me. how long did it take until you noticed the build up?
Old 04-16-2007
Premium Member

mine happened in 6 months from using K&N. but dont worry, you can take off the TB, clean it all up with a rag and carb cleaner, also take the IAC idle air valve off the tb and clean in there too til it looks like new. then let it dry and put it all back and reset the ecu. i did this over a year ago after switching to the weaponr oiled foam filter, and when i checked the valve and tb just a couple months ago, they were still as new as the day i cleaned em.
Old 04-16-2007
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light

NAPA Gold
Old 04-16-2007

well my old filter still looked almost new. it has only got about 5k on it s not terribly dirty. no powe gains that i cant tell, maybe .5 horse.lol. throttle response is a little better. and sounds is throatier, but not much, u cant say that theres not a differenc in gas malegae. i proved that. i was getting 38-40mpg before filter, and afterowrds 44mpg. alot better. and considering the price of gas, that pays for itself quick.