Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Honda ATF Sux!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
Honda ATF Sux!

Yes Honda ATF sux cause its like freaking water. it doesnt have the additives that is needed to keep the tranny in working order. BG which is a oil company that supplies most auto shops has run some tests on several ATF's including Honda and this is wat happened:

Honda was the worst out of all the tests they did. It only lasted 12 minutes under stress. Please dont buy honda atf cause all they are doing is scamming you of your time and money. i recommend any of the top rated atfs on that chart. you can either pay $180 for some good quality stuff or you can keep using Honda's ATF and pay $1000 for a new tranny. your choice.
Old 03-10-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by crazyasian
Yes Honda ATF sux cause its like freaking water. it doesnt have the additives that is needed to keep the tranny in working order. BG which is a oil company that supplies most auto shops has run some tests on several ATF's including Honda and this is wat happened:

Honda was the worst out of all the tests they did. It only lasted 12 minutes under stress. Please dont buy honda atf cause all they are doing is scamming you of your time and money. i recommend any of the top rated atfs on that chart. you can either pay $180 for some good quality stuff or you can keep using Honda's ATF and pay $1000 for a new tranny. your choice.
This is a joke.

Here is why:
1. how did they test it? There are many ways to induce "stress" on the oil/lubricant to make it look bad. I've seen charts that make RedLine look worse than Wal-Mart brand dino oil, and RedLine is a step down from heaven as far as oil is concerned. Point is, they can do something run super high pressure and sheering stress, but oh wait, that doesn't happen in real transmissions. And this chart shows NOTHING about the additives used, nothing at all.
2. what where they testing? Maybe it was once the oil got to a certain viscosity they considered it "bad." Yet Honda's oil starts out thinner than the rest (and no this isn't a bad thing), so it maybe considered "bad" by their terms as soon as it heated up. All they did use some super thick molasses to make there stuff look good, even though your tranny would die even more quickly with that because of improper lubrication.
3. The lab, temperature, and all these other important things that MUST be know to conduct a proper experiment are not present.
4. In no way on this graph do I see how they mimicked the conditions of a transmission. I mean I can test how far of a drop my computer can with stand before breaking, does that mean my computer is fast? No details means they are hiding something.

In short, this is pure marketing BS because they did not disclose a single thing about the test. I mean I could easily formulate a test to make Honda's ATF look like liquid gold, but I wouldn't because it's not truthful, and if I where going to do a test, I would have stated all the design parameters and clearly tried to mimic what happens in the transmission. Then I would have backed it up with many stats from real studies, this in no way is proof of anything other than some company is engaging in dirty marketing.

Take note, I am not defending Honda's ATF, but I will mention I trust the engineers at Honda who actually designed the transmission quite a bit more than this marketing BS graph that proves nothing.

Don't be decivied by something like this...

that hondas atf sux balz. thats wat they are basically proving in this whole chart.
It may suck, but this chart does not prove it.

y do u think that alot of automatics from honda fail so easily? its because of the crapy atf.
This is wrong. It is known that the clutch plates inside the autos where to thin, specifically the 4th plate if I remember correctly. It has nothing to do with the ATF.

i know wat you are coming from and it could be purely propaganda but all i know is that i know that there was a huge difference once they added bg atf or even if they added other fluids that works with our auto tranny's, the tranny would feel so much better. i cant say much to back this chart up but go with wat you think suites your desires. all im saying and showing that there is a reason or a possible reason our trannies die so easily.
I'm not saying Honda's is the best, but the chart says nothing. I will also say not every tranny is built the same, it just isn't humanly possible. Perhaps yours is a little looser than normal and needed a thicker oil, it is very possible that Honda ATF just wasn't viscous enough for YOUR tranny, but that doesn't mean EVERY tranny is that way. I for one had an '04 auto that went just fine on Honda ATF, never had a problem with it. It is very dependant upon your own choice and own tranny, if you like BG or whatever, that is fine, I have nothing agianst most brands of tranny fluid.

But you posted that chart and used that to say Honda ATF is crap, and that just is not a proper basis on which to call soemthing crap.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 03-10-2006 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-10-2006
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
i'm removing every post in between the first and JRfish's post. and then locking the thread. misinformation should be stopped as soon as it's begun. period.