Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Gas Line Antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005
TURTLEonK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
Gas Line Antifreeze?

Hey everyone,

just wondering on peoples thoughts on using gas line antifreeze? is it a good idea to put some in during the winter or will it harm anything?? or will not putting anything at all be better/worse?

tell me what you guys think?

and ur experiences
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
how cold does it get up where youlive because i know gas doesnt freeze till -97F so if you are driving in that cold of weather you would have froze to death within seconds of you walking outside.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
mike, there is already alcohol added to our gas :P its not really required unless you are probebly storing ur car in alaska
Old 11-27-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
water in the gas tank can freeze, not the actual gas. the products you mention remove the water from the gas. I've used them a few times and it does help especially here when it gets to -10F. Now I just use fp60 from lubecontrol.com and it does the same thing plus more.
Old 11-27-2005
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
^ ya, thats what i meant.. sorry.. ya i'm worried about the moisture or any water in the tank that'll freeze.. cuz a few of my co workers are telling me to get it.. just seeing if its worth while..

thx for the reply.. and yes i am aware that i do not live in a place that is -97 or whatever u said ..
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

i thought i would just throw out a bit of discovery channel knowledge but that would suck to live anywhere near that cold.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted
Is this also known as "dry gas"? I've used it a few times, typically when it gets to sub-zero temps (a few times in January).
Old 11-27-2005
TURTLEonK

Originally Posted by micks7thgen
i thought i would just throw out a bit of discovery channel knowledge but that would suck to live anywhere near that cold.
lol it would..

so i guess theres really no point in spending the money in getting it then?
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

nah it is kinda pointless but if it does go below freezing for along time where you live then yeah just to get the water out but as for gas your fine
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

20civic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
this is my second season living in colorado for the winter, and i don't notice anything with my gas. the only tip i've heard is to keep a full tank as much as you can so the water doesn't freeze inside the tank. i usually fill up when i have half or a quarter tank left.
Old 11-27-2005
Registered!!

our canadian gas is formulated diff to handle this ****, even if you live in places like thunderbay, ssmarie ( north ontario for the US ppl, where it does get to -40f/c ( since -40 c and f is the same temp ) Why do snow mobiles not have problems with the gas ? ? the gas is fine, dont waste ur money, we already pay more for it then the US ppl do.
Old 11-28-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Nameless
lol it would..

so i guess theres really no point in spending the money in getting it then?

No it does have some use. While your gas doesn't feeze, like gearbox said, water that accumlates on the bottom of your tank will freeze. It's not a problem if you get good gas all the time, but sometimes gas stations try save a penny by not having the water sucked from their tanks, and end up giving you water saturated gas. You live someplace where it is single digits for a few days without starting your car, and the crap may freeze.

The other thing that often happens is stuff in your filter freezes, hence clogging your filter and preventing flow.
Old 11-28-2005
Registered!!

bring me someone that has had gas freeze on them or a problem directly related to cold weather and gas, it just doesn't happen these day but i can see some concern if it was under storage.
Old 11-28-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AlienX
bring me someone that has had gas freeze on them or a problem directly related to cold weather and gas, it just doesn't happen these day but i can see some concern if it was under storage.

When my Uncle was station in the upper parts of Alaska, it was consistently under -20F and somedays the high was -40F. That was the tempature too, not windchill. The gas engine trucks they used sometimes had problems, the diesels had to kept inside, and becuase of limited space, they didn't use many diesels. But occasionally they had various fluids freeze, including gas.

You apparently have never seen anyone get water in their tank? A station down the road just got sued because they ruined 15 engines because their gas tanks where to high in water content, that kind of gas can freeze. But what's it matter, your engine is already screwed, maybe freezing in lines is a good thing, it won't let the water in.
Old 11-28-2005
Registered!!

mike, there is already alcohol added to our gas :P its not really required unless you are probebly storing ur car in alaska
sry but already said the alaska idea... try again.
Old 11-29-2005

sry but already said the alaska idea... try again.

Yeah, I know you already mentioned alaska, but you didn't say I couldn't use it besides it's true

Really though, I know what you are talking about. Almost nobody needs to worry about it because gas reall doesn't freeze under "normal" conditions.
Old 11-29-2005
Registered!!

Pocketace is an unknown quantity at this point
Snowmobiles don't have a problem with gas because most use dry gas. For the price it is worth it if it gets real cold. I have seen water in gas lines blow the line, then your car does not work. Plus dry gas is like $5 for a years supply.