Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

WD-40 on wheel studs and lug nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by pon55
You have open or closed lugnuts?
If they are the open type, seal the end with silicon seal.
I have the stock OEM ones.
Old 10-21-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
as far as this thread goes....the one thing I would have input for is to use antiseize...not some cheap white grease from autozone..something like this....Damn thats a long *** URL EDIT: just a dab now don't go slopping it on there

anyways because if you'll notice on some newer vehicles manufacturers are starting to put some stuff on the studs and some bolts....alot cheaper then hearing about broken bolts from customers who mod...plus the fact that I don't think anyone on here said anything about heat expansion...hat is the real killer...not some kid using a 20 Tw on your bolts...@myshop we have impact wrenches we also have torque sockets and TW...if you know what you're doing you don't have to worry about screwing up someone's rims studs or lugs....only vehicles I'm scared of messing up are the big trucks that come in...the ones that take in excess of 140 tq.lbs. those are the ones I'm scared of breaking cuz of all the weight and such...

Last edited by Shroomster; 10-21-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Once the lugs are overdone one time, they are done for. That elastic thing Tacheon is talking about, it's like a rubber band for metals, they do indeed strech. The metals used in both the stud and nut are designed to strech at the specific torque. Once a stupid shopover tightens them, it looses the elastic force. Think of a rubber band, you can strech it and strech it and it will go back to the normal most of the time. But if you strech the rubber band to far (read putting to much torque on the the lug nuts) and then the rubber band doesn't go back to the orginal shape. Same with the lug nuts, if they get over torqued, the threads will not be able to deform properly. I can get much more complicated, or you can just take my word for it.

I ran into this when a shop put over 120 ft-lb torque (that was as high as my TR would go) on the lug nuts, the lugnuts where contstantly falling off because they would not lock on to the studs and I had to replace every stud and lug nut on the car to get everything to stay together.

now I don't know about this overtorqued...but I know if you let someone wail on your bolt with an airsocket it could eventually strip ouit both not just torquing too much unless they don't stop after the clicks and just keep torquing and torquing...cuz eventually the splines are going to run out of room and have to start bending in on themselves...
Old 03-25-2006
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
what about this stuff?---> this stuff would do you some good around the wheels where rust is.
Old 03-25-2006

Originally Posted by Johnold
what about this stuff?---> this stuff would do you some good around the wheels where rust is.
no it wouldn't. you need something to clean the corrosion first, with a steel brush or something. you don't go putting lube on every part of the car that moves.
Old 03-25-2006
Registered!!

i wasn't talking about "EVERY PART THAT MOVES" i was just talking on some rusted spots like around the center hubs on the wheels and on the threads on the studs. but OFCOURSE you have to clean it first. maybe with some SUPER FINE steel wool first and THEN with that lithium grease.
Old 03-26-2006

Originally Posted by Johnold
i wasn't talking about "EVERY PART THAT MOVES" i was just talking on some rusted spots like around the center hubs on the wheels and on the threads on the studs. but OFCOURSE you have to clean it first. maybe with some SUPER FINE steel wool first and THEN with that lithium grease.
no. don't use lithium grease. there is no need. just a dab of antiseize around the center of the hub and a little on the lugnuts and be done with it.
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

do you guys know how long threaded studs are on a 7thgencivic? i'm wondering if a lug nut lock that has an over all length of 0.945 inch fit perfectly on the stud with an aftermarket wheel on?
Old 04-17-2006
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
PB BLASTER or anti seize on the inside of the lugs ... yes the same stuff your supposed to use on your spark plugs
Old 04-25-2006
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
WD-40 is good for keeping garden tools from rusting but other than that, it's a pretty lousy cleaner/preservative/lube.

The stuff is, in essence, perfumed kerosene so I'm not surprised that it doesn't last long. Instead, use the same stuff you use on sparkplugs aka any commercialy available anti-seize.