Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

removing bolt-ons = better mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
removing bolt-ons = better mpg?

i currently have intake, downpipe, exhaust and gas prices here in at San Francisco is damn high. i would like to know if by removing my short ram intake, downpipe, and exhaust, would i be seeking better noticeable mpg?
this is for the civic and a rsx as well.
Old 08-15-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well i have an intake and header and got the highest mpg ever since I've owned the car, 42mpg. Thats with the stock exhaust tho. Also driving habits count. If I floored my car at every stop, I usually get 15 mpg.
Old 08-15-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Yeah, it can give you better MPG or worse depending on you driving habits.
Old 08-15-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

so assuming i will be driving it exactly the same, stock parts will see better mpg?

i know the short ram intake kills your low end and thats what i need since im city driving mainly, im thinking about just replacing that with the OEM airbox.
Old 08-15-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
depends on how your normal driving is... if you take off quickly, then yeah, stock parts will give better MPG. If you are an easy driver, you may see a decrease
Old 08-15-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
my intake actually gives more low end than stock, dyno proven. it also depends on your a/f ratio. if you tune your mods and still keep it ideal 14.7:1, then mods won't decrease mileage much.
Old 08-15-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

i replaced my short ram with the airbox... but i looked inside the airbox and noticed its dirty. so im gonna replace that with a clean one eventually.

but as soon as i put it back on, i noticed my car was more "sluggish" under 3k rpm. if its still the same after the new filter, im gonna put the intake back on.
Old 08-15-2005
Premium Member

did you reset the ecu?
Old 08-15-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

i did... battery was d/c while i was removing it. and i let it idle for 5min without revving/etc as well.

it felt more sluggish, but at the same time, it was going somewhere lol. idk, maybe its my mind.
Old 08-15-2005
Premium Member

well SRI generally has more torque and better throttle response from a stop cause it can suck in immediate air. Its especially noticable when its cold outside. The stock intake just feels like the engine is holding back.
Old 08-15-2005
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
K&N Typhoon is the best intake ever... cant wait til my car is fixed to put mine back on... going back to stock for warrenty repairs SUCKS!!!1!!
Old 08-15-2005
Premium Member

agreed. i've been through 3 intakes and the typhoon is amazing. you can actually feel the difference.
Old 08-19-2005
98% of people will die in their lifetime

EnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questionedEnProceso should not be questioned
my MPG went back up after i took off my CAI. got about 30-35 more miles per tank doing my usual driving. exhaust didnt make any difference.
Old 08-21-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
I just pet my silencer in to get a sticker and it has more go on the low end, but top end power, just forget about it. I like my mods to make power were it should be, and it my car it's VTEC territory.