Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Cleaning particular parts of the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Cleaning particular parts of the engine?

I just went through and did a detail on the engine bay, came out really good as always but there are two piece I really wanna work on as best I can.

One is the exhaust manifold heat plate cover. Its got some rust spots and I was thinking I could just remove it and sand it down then use some high heat silver spray paint to spruce it up. My concern is the temperature and whether a high heat spray is ok to use or if a powdercoating or something similar is needed?

My second place is to the left of the engine. (that would be if you were looking into the bay from the front) Right where there is a goldish colored metal housing for hoses (coolant Im pretty sure) and such. It has a coating of what almost looks like corosion buildup. Kinda a whitish chalky deal. I want to clean that off as best I can without screwing up any connections. Any particular cleaner and tool other than a wire brush to get that area spiffy again?
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

mradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trustedmradam85 should not be trusted
i was thinking about doing the same thing with my heat shield, if you do it let me know how it turns out
Old 06-21-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Whelan
I just went through and did a detail on the engine bay, came out really good as always but there are two piece I really wanna work on as best I can.

One is the exhaust manifold heat plate cover. Its got some rust spots and I was thinking I could just remove it and sand it down then use some high heat silver spray paint to spruce it up. My concern is the temperature and whether a high heat spray is ok to use or if a powdercoating or something similar is needed?

My second place is to the left of the engine. (that would be if you were looking into the bay from the front) Right where there is a goldish colored metal housing for hoses (coolant Im pretty sure) and such. It has a coating of what almost looks like corosion buildup. Kinda a whitish chalky deal. I want to clean that off as best I can without screwing up any connections. Any particular cleaner and tool other than a wire brush to get that area spiffy again?
I actually have that little gold thing where the battery grounds at out of my car right now. I am gonna try dremeling it (after windexing, lol) down some, and hopefully get a better connection. Mine has some white corrosion as well, not too bad though. I have almost 100,000 miles.'

I would try a good mag polish after you clean up the heatshield some. Maybe even claybar it, see if that works?? See if you can work most that crap off of it, than polish it up. It made mine look better with the polish. I used Mothers Mag Polish. I dont know how long it lasts though. not too bad of a product though. Its decent.
Old 06-21-2005
Registered!!

Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice Ill try that out, let me know how that dremel works on the gold piece.

I have Mothers Mag Polish I use it under the hood and on my intake pipe, works great. I will take it off tomorrow and see what it can do with a wire brush on the heat shield. Im gonna also check out with a friend and see what painting it will do.
Old 06-27-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I shaved down that gold piece. Where the battery grounds at. NO problems, and it looks nice and chrome now, hehe. Matches a lot of other stuff in my engine bay. My computer settings seem to be saving now as well for my injectors. So thats good. It will make it look better, and possibly help out with connections. Ill be driving my car tonight hopefully, and let ya know how it works out.