Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

AC Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yellowgqthug817 is an unknown quantity at this point
AC Help

I think i have a leak in my AC unit. I went to Walmart and bought one of thoses fill it yourself can. Turn on my AC and still didn't work. By the way i have a 02civic with 50,000 miles. How much does it cost to change the AC line at the dealership?
Old 06-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
wwhat exactly is your problem with your AC? Does it blow only warm air? Hot air? Does the ac even turn on? DO you have any air blowing out? There could be alot of things wrong with your AC. You need to find out exactly what is wrong first. You could have a leak on a line, at the compressor, condensor, evaporator, or you could have a bad compressor, bad expansion valve, there are alot of things that can go wrong.
Old 06-13-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
YOU HAVE A WARRANTY!!!!!!! go to the dealership and get them to fix it for FREE.
Old 06-13-2005
Registered!!

Warranty is gone bc it last only 36,000 miles or 3 yrs...
it blows warm air out and it does turn on. but i don't know where the leak is coming from. I know there is a leak bc it is completely out of freon. I just want an estimated guess of how much it would cost if able.
Old 06-13-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
honda certifide extended warenty! :-D wait do you got one? i do!
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by yellowgqthug817
Warranty is gone bc it last only 36,000 miles or 3 yrs...
it blows warm air out and it does turn on. but i don't know where the leak is coming from. I know there is a leak bc it is completely out of freon. I just want an estimated guess of how much it would cost if able.
how do you know it is out of refrigerant? Have you hooked a set of gauges up to it? And freon is R-12, we use r-134A.

The reason I ask is because I dont want you to spend money on something that you dont need. Your system could be fully charged, but you have another problem. You could have a bad compressor, a bad expansion valve, bad pressure switches. Now if you are out of refrigerant, it might not be a line. But to check for a leak, you need to charge the system up a bit with refrigerant and scan over the lines and everything with a leak detector to find out what is leaking. And it could be as simple as a o-ring at a connection.
Old 06-14-2005
Let's see if I know the ledge
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tricky is on a distinguished road
no ttrying to hyjack your thread but it sounds like my problem too...so i just found out i have to get a new compressor installed and recharged...they want about 1300Cdn funds which is like 1000US, for parts an labour...thats alot of fuggin money, so would i be completly outta my mind if I were to attempt to install a compressor myself?
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by tricky
no ttrying to hyjack your thread but it sounds like my problem too...so i just found out i have to get a new compressor installed and recharged...they want about 1300Cdn funds which is like 1000US, for parts an labour...thats alot of fuggin money, so would i be completly outta my mind if I were to attempt to install a compressor myself?
If you are usta working on cars,are carefull,and can read and follow directions,yes.
You would need gauges,vacum pump,ect.
I would try checking some repair shops for estimates!
The entire A/C unit can be purchased on-line for like $700.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pon55
The entire A/C unit can be purchased on-line for like $700.
And to install it would probably cost you another $1000-$2000.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by streetglower
And to install it would probably cost you another $1000-$2000.
Well, I bought my DX stripped and had A/C installed by the dealer. (for free) It took them 2.5 hours, start to finish!
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pon55
Well, I bought my DX stripped and had A/C installed by the dealer. (for free) It took them 2.5 hours, start to finish!
I dont believe it took the dealer 2.5 hours to install a complete AC assembly. the only was I can see is if you had no dash and they just stuck in the evaporator assembly, same with the condensor, stuck in the compressor, and the lines and didnt even charge it. It doesnt seem possible to do all that in 2.5 hours. There is alot of work involved.
Old 06-15-2005

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
i think he didnt mean to put the "." in there. more like ohhh 25 hours?
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TransformedBG
i think he didnt mean to put the "." in there. more like ohhh 25 hours?
Well, I took the car in at 8am and they called to say it was ready at 11! I picked it up at 11.15.
You figure
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

susuking is on a distinguished road
well, it might be possible if the dealer got a whole team working on one car
Old 06-15-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by susuking
well, it might be possible if the dealer got a whole team working on one car
exactly. Putting on a new compressor alone would take you around an hour or 2, now think of adding a condensor, evaporator assembly and all the lines. Maybe with 20 people doing it. But one person 2.5 hours isnt possible.

You must have had a single item put on.
Old 06-18-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
100k extended .
Old 06-18-2005
Registered!!

Well I got bad news. I went to get my AC check at a shop. The guy told me I had a leak in my compressor. They also give me an estimated guess of the cost which was $1,782.40 with tax. I couldn't belive it when i heard it. I 'm **** at myslef right about now for not buying extended warranty. Can someone tell me if the price for the parts are even close to fair which i know is mostly likely overcharged....

they are charging ... Remanufactured Compressor $699.99
Expansion Valve $127.86
Accumulator $139.86
Labor $525.10
A/C Evacuate and Recharge R134A $174.86
Old 06-18-2005
Registered!!

Well I got bad news. I went to get my AC check at a shop. The guy told me I had a leak in my compressor. They also give me an estimated guess of the cost which was $1,782.40 with tax. I couldn't belive it when i heard it. I 'm **** at myslef right about now for not buying extended warranty. Can someone tell me if the price for the parts are even close to fair which i know is mostly likely overcharged....

Expansion Valve $127.86
Accumulator $139.86
Labor $525.10
Majestic Honda on line has complete a/c for 900 and compressor for like 600 NEW. Keep trying different shops till you find a fair one!
On time for install, I talked to my friend who works at the dealer. He said they put 4 men on it and can install in a little over 2 hour!!!
Old 06-19-2005

shop around now that you have to. now that you know what it is go to someone else and ask them for those parts. don't tell them the problem. thats why he is trying to ripp you off. ebay the parts or order online. its cheaper that way. get dealers to install it.
Old 06-25-2005
Registered!!

Expansion Valve $127.86
Accumulator $139.86
Labor $525.10
our cars dont have accumulators, we have reciever driers. And you dont need a new expansion valve if the compressor needs replacing.

And they are deffinelty ripping you off, a new compressor is only $400 from honda, not remanufactured or rebuilt, brand new, see

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...++++COMPRESSOR

I would go somewhere else if I were you. Like someone else said, a new AC unit is ony $900.
Old 06-28-2005
Registered!!

i found shop that will put a reman compressor for 625 or to put a new one will cost 825.. is reman a safe way to go??
Old 06-28-2005

wher you at? lol i got my old compressor off my d17?
Old 06-28-2005
Registered!!

i found shop that will put a reman compressor for 625 or to put a new one will cost 825.. is reman a safe way to go??
dude!!! You can buy a brand new compressor from Honda for $400 plus shipping. Those shops are trying to rip you off. $625 for a reman or $825 for a new one, thats a rip off. Go to a reputable shop and ask them what is wrong, if it is your compressor, buy one from honda and go back and have it installed somewhere.
Old 06-28-2005
Registered!!

xxhonda4lifexx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Try those "stop leak R134a" Freon sealers at wal-mart or autozone. I tried it on my dad's old 1992 Mazda Protege and it sealed the leak quite well. If everything fails, just get a cheap ebay compressor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

so 625 for a reman comperssor installed is a bad price....but i also don't know any good shops around this area all the shop i ask is trying to rip me off. the lowest price is for the 625 reman installed... But i was also thinking should go out and pay another $40 to anonter shop to let them check for the leak ???