Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

taking a 3000+ mile trip, what to do?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005
that little dude
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slick will become famous soon enoughslick will become famous soon enough
taking a 3000+ mile trip, what to do?...

just wondering what kind of pre-maintanence i should do before i take the trip? i have an oil change due at 35,000 miles (i'm at 34,200 right now). i normally just go to the honda dealer to get an oil change, so i have reciepts and such to show i had it done on time (resale purposes). should i put different oil in it? should i have other things checked?
i'm going to toronto, canada from oklahoma city, 1400 or so miles each way.
i dont want any problems when i go on the trip, so if i can start taking care of this stuff now, it would be great.
Old 05-27-2005
Registered!!

messiah is an unknown quantity at this point
you can have your oil changed before your trip. check all your fluids and also your brake pads. check your tire pressure including your spare tire. i suggest you to bring extra coolant, water and oil.
Old 05-27-2005
that little dude

awesome, sounds easy enough.
thanks for the reply.
Old 05-27-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I took about a 2500 mile round trip once. oil change before and after trip.. tires.. coolant , spare in good shape and luckily I never needed a thing.Just make sure if your going state to state that you get quality gas when you stop because I did get some crappy gas from one state
Old 05-27-2005
that little dude

what gas stations are considered "cheap"? i normally just go to whats close, shell and conaco normally.
Old 05-27-2005
Go Team Venture!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
just stick with gas stations that have lights inside the signs.. stay aways from places with the signs hand painted on a piece of plywood

basicly yer gunna want to stay clear of any place with a screendoor and rocking chairs out front
Old 05-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by againifall
just stick with gas stations that have lights inside the signs.. stay aways from places with the signs hand painted on a piece of plywood

basicly yer gunna want to stay clear of any place with a screendoor and rocking chairs out front
I have seen shitty gas stations also with lights in the signs. Just stick with major brand gas like exxon, cheveron, shell, texaco, etc...
Old 05-27-2005
that little dude

okay, i thought you guys were talking about the major brands. i am too afraid to go to those "screendoor and rocking chairs out front" gas stations, i've seen one too many movies.
Old 05-28-2005
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
bring a spear gas bottle
Old 05-28-2005
Da Drilla From Manila

bluesi05 is an unknown quantity at this point
or just get on a plane
Old 05-28-2005
that little dude

Originally Posted by bluesi05
or just get on a plane
too many stops on the way, visiting relatives as i go, kill two birds with one stone (or whatever the proper saying is )
besides, i always have bad luck with planes. whenever i decide to go anywhere on a plane, it gets delayed for hours, or cancelled, its annoying.
Old 05-28-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
bring an extra air filter, cause it gets dirty fast. Change oil before and after, if you have auto trans, slap on a tranny cooler.
Old 05-28-2005
that little dude

Originally Posted by gearbox
bring an extra air filter, cause it gets dirty fast. Change oil before and after, if you have auto trans, slap on a tranny cooler.
just slap on a tranny cooler? is it as easy as it sounds? and how much?

btw, my A/C takes a little longer than normal to cool, the 90+ degree weather in oklahoma doesnt help. what can i do to make sure it runs fine, i cant make a trip like that in july with a weak A/C.
Old 05-28-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by slick
just slap on a tranny cooler? is it as easy as it sounds? and how much?

btw, my A/C takes a little longer than normal to cool, the 90+ degree weather in oklahoma doesnt help. what can i do to make sure it runs fine, i cant make a trip like that in july with a weak A/C.

Check the AC out for a leak I guess
Old 05-28-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
Tranny cooler? The guy is just going on a road race, not autocrossing his car, I'm sure that Honda designed these cars to be able to handle driving for long periods of time without having the transmissions explode, I mean, its not as if he's going to be running the whole trip at 5000rpm or with a turbo kit at 14psi.

Oil, coolant, water, maybe a jimmy can if you don't have any idea if you'll be near a gas station on the way there, but since you're in a Civic you ought to be able to get at least 500km/tank (my best is 750 w. 4 people in the car w. cruise control on, highway). If you're somewhere that doesn't have a gas station for 500km you took a wrong turn somewhere and you may or may not be in Mexico.
Old 05-28-2005
that little dude

going to stay on main highways/interstates the entire way, running out of gas is the first thing i am trying to avoid.
so a tranny cooler is not neccesary? if its cheap and easy to install, i wouldnt mind getting one, but i am not good with working under the car if you know what i mean.
Old 05-28-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
i went to cali for spring break (from washington state, the east side). all i did was change my oil and check my tire pressure...everything went fine.
Old 05-28-2005
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
I would get a tranny cooler just cuz the auto tranny in my opinion isnt that strong. I own one as well and dont like it much. So get a tranny cooler to be on the safe side
Old 05-28-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the tranny will get very stressed on long trips. I wish I had mine on when we drove 2k miles across country. A tranny cooler is most needed for long distance drives. Cost me $50 for B&M model 70264. Took about an hour to install with basic tools and removing the bumper and a few screws. I can look up the threads about it if you want.

Make sure ac is fully charged. It does get colder when you drive on the highway at constant speed rather than just city driving. So everything could be fine.
Old 05-28-2005
that little dude

$50 for a tranny cooler? sounds well worth it for me. i can probably get a friend to help me install it, he installed a supercharger, 6 speed manual and air bags in his truck, i think he can help me with a tranny cooler
if you can just point me to a good website that i can buy it, i will be good to go.
i'm going to have my friend check out the A/C this week, his uncle works at a garage, but i'm sure its fine, its probably because i'm fat and feel hot all the time, lol.
Old 05-28-2005
Premium Member

here read these

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...=tranny+cooler

Old 05-29-2005
that little dude

excellent, thanks a bunch