Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Nasty Odor From A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mexinaction will become famous soon enoughmexinaction will become famous soon enough
Nasty Odor From A/C?

Everytime i start up the A/C there is a weird nasty odor coiming from the a/c. its not only when it starts, everonce in a while it will come back. does anyone know what it could be

2004 EX Sedan, 35k

Thanks
Old 05-23-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
maybe someting die in your vents
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

mexinaction will become famous soon enoughmexinaction will become famous soon enough
nah i dont think so, cuz it comes and goes

its not constant
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

I just talked to one of my boys, he has an older civic, he said he had the same problem and that it was freon that was leaking? Does freon smell funky? i will probably take it to the dealer
Old 05-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
got the same problem.......

just need to "boost" it to high...and it will go away....

consider checking our ur cabin filter?
Old 05-23-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
how many miles do you have? As zen master said, check the cabin filter behind the glove box. When I checked mine at 25K miles, there was a lots of pollen, some dead bugs, leaves, dirt,.... it was black. haha
Old 05-23-2005
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
change your cabin filters
Old 05-24-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's not the cabin filters. Mildew forms in the system when you use the a/c alot and keep it on recirculate mode. Use fresh air mode instead and even leave the fan **** open instead of closed/off when you shut off the car. For now, run the heater full blast for 5-10 mins to get rid of the mildew.
Old 05-24-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
filter chage after 30m dealership says
Old 05-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
It's not the cabin filters. Mildew forms in the system when you use the a/c alot and keep it on recirculate mode. Use fresh air mode instead and even leave the fan **** open instead of closed/off when you shut off the car. For now, run the heater full blast for 5-10 mins to get rid of the mildew.
exactly. The filters only reduce the amount of pollens, dirt, etc... from entering the air in the vehicle.

Most likely the mildew is building up in the evap drain that runs to the bottom of the car. That is where alot of condensation builds up. What you can do is go under the car and check to see if that drain is plugged or you can do a system cleaning with wynns AC cleaner, or however its called.
Old 05-25-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gearbox
what gearbox said
press the little button that uses outside air for a little. Sometimes its good to use the ac with outside air. That should get rid of the smell.
Old 05-25-2005
Registered!!

i doubt it....

i've been trying to do that from a long time ago..

HOWEVER...one should probably realize that it never happened during winter.....that's when we use the heater all the time....LOL...

so...there's gotta be something with the AC....
Old 05-25-2005
Registered!!

BERGER will become famous soon enoughBERGER will become famous soon enough
freon is oudorless.... i have it sometimes when my A/C is on to but not very often..
Old 05-25-2005
Registered!!

not the freon....but the compressor or the tubes which colden the air......

or probably the vent....even though i doubt that....because, if it's about the vent, then it should be smelly EVERYTIME i use the AC..

however, it comes now-and-then......not regularly...
Old 05-25-2005
Registered!!

CHUCKNOSIS is an unknown quantity at this point
after u turn on ur ac...before u turn off ur car, let the vents blow at full speed...not the a/c..juss the air...then turn it off so all the cold air gets out and mildew will not form...
Old 05-26-2005
Registered!!

thanks everyone, i will everything but if it doesnt do **** i will just take it to the dealer,

i do have to change the cabin filters, i have 35k on my vic
Old 06-03-2005

liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
how much do the new cabin filters run? and where do i pull it out?

i've got my car in for service and they want to charge me $90 to change it and there's no way i'm shelling out that kind of cash for something so simple.
Old 06-03-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
take out, vacuum in each crease, and reinstall. free.
Old 06-03-2005
. . . The Master Debater . . .

amhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura aboutamhtown01 has a spectacular aura about
what gear box said, just use the air from outside and not the recirculating air. My car has 50,000 miles on it and the only time i've ever have that problem is when im stuck behind and old car with all the smog coming from it. I close my vents so it recirculates the air. when i forget to open them up after i park, come back turn on the A/C and it smells. so leave ur recirculating air button off if u dont like it smelly.
Old 06-04-2005
Registered!!

i tried it and it worked

havent smelled it since