Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Engine Shampoo Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyberkinetic is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine Shampoo Question

I want to clean the engine bay in my 01 civic with one of those engine degreasers, however, I'm a little worried about spraying down my engine. I have heard of people's engine lights coming on after shampooing their engine. Are there any parts that I should avoid getting wet? Can anyone give me a little advice on how to do it correctly?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2005
Registered!!

KYjerry414 is an unknown quantity at this point
cover up the valve cover.
Old 05-08-2005
Registered!!

KYjerry414 is an unknown quantity at this point
i'll send u a link for the DIY engine cleaning.
Old 05-09-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by KYjerry414
you dont need to cover the valve cover.

When I cleaned my engine bay, the only thing I covered were the opening of the intake and the tranny dipstick because of how flimsy it sits in the tranny. then I sprayed away. But make sure you dont spray directly at the alternator. And dont spray hard at any parts, lightly spray everything. You will be fine.
Old 05-09-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by KYjerry414
you dont need to cover the valve cover.

When I cleaned my engine bay, the only thing I covered were the opening of the intake and the tranny dipstick because of how flimsy it sits in the tranny. then I sprayed away. But make sure you dont spray directly at the alternator. And dont spray hard at any parts, lightly spray everything. You will be fine.
Old 05-09-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
spray with simple green, spray off with light mist. YOu don't need to cover anything if you give it a few hours to dry. So if you want to do it, do it at like 5pm on a Monday, and just leave your car out to dry over night.
Old 05-09-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I windex my engine bay, rofl!!! haha, I really do to.

Works like a charm. But Its more of a maintaining the clean engine, than cleaning it first with it. If it gets really nasty, I would just use soap/water, and let everything dry. I just dont spray near the intake filter. and I try to keep it away from certain spots (electrical). Just dont spray directly on electrical, and when you dry it up, just move the towel over the spots you missed, cuz the towel will be wet anyways, and will clean it up. Mag polish is a good thing on the engine after you clean it as well. Made my engine shine nicely.
Old 05-10-2005
Registered!!

Cyberkinetic is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for all your advice. If anyone comes across a formal diy guide, I still wouldn't mind taking a look.
Old 05-11-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Cyberkinetic
Thanks for all your advice. If anyone comes across a formal diy guide, I still wouldn't mind taking a look.
you can also steam clean it.
Old 05-11-2005

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
Blue Coral make an awesome cleaner. It is safe on all clearcoats, paints, unfinished aluminum, pvc plastic and many other things. Its the Wheel Cleaner. I use it on my STi. Make sure the engine is cool, cover alt. with plastic bag, cover intake filter too if u have one. Spray cleaner, let it soak for like 2-5 mins.....and rinse again. It works amazingly well. Give it a try for $4. why not.
Old 05-12-2005

southpasdena is an unknown quantity at this point
where is the alternator?, thought u were also supposed to cover the distributor cap and everything, i dont spend much time under the hood, maybe i should spend a little more
Old 05-12-2005

Originally Posted by southpasdena
where is the alternator?, thought u were also supposed to cover the distributor cap and everything, i dont spend much time under the hood, maybe i should spend a little more
Maybe you should because on the 7thgen there is no distributor cap.

Alternator is right in the front. You can't miss it.
Old 05-12-2005
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Simple Green undiluted if really dirty. Diluted 50% if just dusty. Rinse with light mist. Cover the filter unless it's stock.
Old 05-12-2005

southpasdena is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks, kinda guessed there was no distributor, but just wanted to make sure, same with the alternator, i know what they look like but i mess things up alot so no harm in checkin
Old 05-12-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
i just drove into the DIY car wash bay at the local place and poped the hood and had at it, didnt cover anything didnt watch fore certain areas, i sprayed every square inch and had no problems. then i went to home depot and they had a engine degrese spray, (oddly it was near doorknobs and handles) and the spray was 5 bucks it worked pretty good but id say it only has 2-4 uses in the can depending on you.
Old 05-12-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
and to know which is the alternator, its got the openings around it near the front and you can see wires that look like they are wrapped around something, sometimes they are a color.