Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
antifreeze?

hey, just wondering if i should change my antifreeze after so many miles, it's running cool, but should i do if just to make sure it has new stuff in it?
Old 04-06-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
well dealer says every 30k miles or so, but some people do it once a year. I don't see the need but that's me. Just be sure to use the honda brand.
Old 04-06-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
werd, i think i'll leave it til i get really really bored one day
Old 04-07-2005
Registered!!

Flashlightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm suggesting every 2 years or 30k, whichever comes first.

Although that "water" part of your antifreeze is still working, the ability to handle acids and other cooties is diminished over time. Just leaving your car in the driveway will still lead to a degredation of the antifreeze and the gas too.

I'm running 60/40 mix of water/antifreeze along with RL WaterWetter. It dropped the temp slightly but more importanty, it does heat up even with stop and go traffic or spirited driving up in the local mountains.
Old 04-09-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
the best mixture over all is 50/50 of water/antifreeze...also it should be changed every 24k miles or 2 years because coolant stores voltage and anything over .5 volts is bad for your engine and needs a flushing...take a voltmeter to it and stick the common ground on ur negative battery terminal and the positive tip into the coolant and if its .5 volts or more than u need to change it...it can be very harmful to ur engine if u dont...if u have a fluke volt meter its easiest to use
Old 04-09-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
what about using the thing with ***** in it?
Old 04-11-2005
Registered!!

opticalvetc is an unknown quantity at this point
You dont need to change it that often. As on 2001 Honda has been using long life (TYPE 2) antifreeze in all their cars. So its good for 5 years or 100K. And you dont mix this stuff with water. Just add it straight cause its all ready mixed. get it from honda its called type 2.
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
According to the 2003 Honda Civic LX owners manual, the engine coolant is good for 120,000 miles (192,000km) or 10 years. The thing with the ***** in it is a hydrometer. It measures the specific gravity of the antifreeze. It'll tell you the concentration of the antifreeze but not the condition it is in.
Old 04-13-2005
SICCMADE

Danka02 is an unknown quantity at this point
i need to change my cars today its starting to run hot and its been 2 years
Old 04-14-2005
Registered!!

Back to physics for a moment and you'll see why 50/50 mix isn't ideal for everyone or every application.

Water cools better than AF. No question about it and it's not even open to debate.

Water doesn't prevent scale, boils at 212, lubes water pump and it freezes.

The boiling issue can be addressed by pressurizing the cooling system i.e., your radiator cap. But what do we do about the freeze protection?

Enter AF. It lowers the freezing point but it's a **** poor conductor of heat. It does contain pump lube however. So what's the right amount to use?

It depends on whatever the lowest temp you'll see. Here in SoCal freezing is almost unheard of. Since a 50/50 AF mixture gives me minus 35 protection with a chemical that doesn't absord or dissipate heat well (AF) and I'll never see those temps, tweaking the ratio is the answer.

Keep in mind that the more water you have the better off you but you have to remember that you need some AF. I'm running a 60/40 mixture which gives me freeze protection to minus 7 degrees. Using RL WaterWetter gives me pump lube and helps to reduce the surface tension of the water allowing it to absorb heat better and dissipate it better in the radiator. The result? An extremely effective way to deal with engine heat.

So what's the easy recipe? Drain and flush if it's time or just drain. Add 28 oz of distilled water if you're not using RL WW or 24 oz if you are. Fill the balance with Type 2 AF and you will have achieved nirvanna.

Keep in mind that race cars don't use AF because it simply is an unsuitable agent. 50/50 will alllow Honda to sell cars, ready to go, in practically every region of the world but you can, and should, dial it in for your specific app.
Old 04-14-2005
SICCMADE

Danka02 is an unknown quantity at this point
/\/\ I Will Look In To This Since It Never Gets Close To Freezing Up Here In The Bay Area So More Water Less Antifreeze And Maybe Some Water Wetter Just To Help Things Out
Old 04-15-2005
Registered!!

Danka,

Although some people suggest a 75/25 mix of water to AF, I think's too much water, even if it will work fine.

When one flushes an engine there is residual water left over in the little nooks and crannies and it will never come out.

If you put in a 60/40 mix the residual water will make it something like 63/37 or thereabouts. Even with that level this protection is still well below freezing - something you'll never see in Petaluma. With the RL WW you'll be set. After the change the temp gauge will drop and it won't move at all because the cooling system is working very well. I've taken the car to Vegas and even on the steep upgrades, the gauge just doesn't move. Same thing with summer trips to Palm Springs. Mountain driving above LA - no movement.l

BTW - My parents live in Gilroy and the Bay Area is great!