Auto Transmission Rebuild (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Auto Transmission Rebuild (pics)

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...uto.shtml#main
this place also has an overhaul kit for our transmissions... just something to look into...
Old 01-05-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2002CivicX
what do you mean it doesn't come with that, how do you figure, here is the description off the kits components.

( TCI-559100 ) - 2001-02 Honda Civic Master Racing Overhaul Kit - Our Racing Overhaul Kits contain the housing & cover gaskets, filter, o-rings, checkballs, gear shaft locknuts, lock washers, sealing washers & metal clad seals. The Master Racing Overhaul kits also include Alto Red Eagle® high-performance clutches and Kolene® treated steels for all clutch packs.

this is apparantly the exact same kit with the same part number as the tci kit which as you already know is discontinue.

OOh sorry I thought it was just the standard overhaul kit not the master.
Old 01-05-2008
Registered!!

lemac will become famous soon enough

I think I might have to do one of these.... 127k on the sled and I bought it with 119k. I've had no probs with the tranny, but I don't want to wait for it either.
Old 12-04-2009
Registered!!

MarkM01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks to me like TCI still makes the kit.

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/SportCompact/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-559100/
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

BlackonBlackEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello im new here. Well my transmission went out on my 02 auto EX. I was reading about these master kits. will it be better to purchase this kit than to buy a new trans? is this master kit all i need to get my car running again?
Old 03-03-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

YES buy the master racing kit from tciauto.com for few hundred bucks and have a good shop rebuild the old one (add labor for rebuild and pulling off the trans plus reinstall). thats all you need! unless you are good with transmissions and can remove/take apart the old one and change the parts. use honda ATF to fill up the rebuilt trans and add an external filter (2001 civic HX CVT oem filter works great) and cooler (B&M supercooler) to really make it last forever.
Old 03-04-2010
Registered!!

Alright i think i will look into that!
Sorry for being such a noob but i went tciauto.com website and dont know where to find the kit.
My car is an 02 auto EX by the way. help?

Last edited by BlackonBlackEM2; 03-04-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

here is the kit you need. their website sucks for finding anything

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ngOverhaulKits
Old 03-04-2010
Registered!!

Thank you so much! i have one last question. does this kit come with everything i need to rebuild my trans and get my car up and running again? Oh and my car is an automatic so would this work?

Last edited by BlackonBlackEM2; 03-04-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2010
Premium Member

yeah this is for auto trans only. includes everything you need, even the internal filter screen and the upgraded clutch packs (which is the main defect of the honda trans).
Old 03-04-2010
Registered!!

Thank you so much for all your help!
Old 03-05-2010
Registered!!

Went to a few shops today and told the mechanics about the master kit. they said it was good but that i would also need hard parts like the torque converter and valve body. is this true?
Old 03-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

btw, gearbox can you link us up to where to get the external filter and the cooler? thanks

and is the TCI kit better than OEM?
And im guessing LX and EX are the same since theres only one kit??

Last edited by kcari; 03-17-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2010
Premium Member

TCI rebuild parts are better than oem yes, esp the clutch packs. kit works for all auto trans models (probably 03-05 too even tho they dont say it). for the external filter, just look up 2001 civic HX with CVT auto trans on the honda parts site or have the dealer look. its an oem honda part on that car and be sure to get the brackets too so you can mount it. for the cooler, its just a B&M trans cooler in a small size you can fit between radiator and condensor. i cant remember which one i got.
Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

Matteo will become famous soon enough

ya man y do u want OEM cooler when they just screwed u over w/the trans? ..i got a B&M cooler...thanks for the link to B&M filter!!
Old 03-21-2010
Premium Member

yeah the separate oem HX cooler is very small and i doubt it does much for cooling. and the "factory cooler" our cars come with is just a small piece of the radiator. which as it turns out, the coolant heats up first anyway and acts as a trans fluid heater.
Old 07-31-2010
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a while since ive been here and since this thread is still half way alive I figured I would let everyone know that the transmission now has 134k miles and still has no sign of any issues. My GF has since given the car to her younger brother who beats the living **** out of it, so I can say that im still in love with the red eagle clutches... I just wish they made them for my current car

If anyone is considering a rebuild its definatly worth getting these parts... Even if you have a shop do the job.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

This topic is really amazing : )

I think if mine trans breaks down then I might have to do this too. This is very nice.
Old 07-31-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'm definitely considering attempting the trans rebuild myself too..

I'm hesitant though because this would be the most difficult thing i've done by far, and I'd definitely be doing it on a donor trans.
Old 08-08-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Question: I have an '98 Civic LX (auto) and after reading this thread it makes me wanna upgrade to what Dope has done. But is this kit and upgrades only for the '01-'02 yr only?

I don't notice any slippage on mine but when I do is this the kit I want to buy? Also, it say "racing" but I don't race nor would I want my vehicle to feel like a racer car. Is this still the type of kit I should invest in?
Old 04-24-2012
Registered!!

shillow is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking pretty seriously about attempting this rebuild myself especially after getting quoted 1800 to 3000$ to get the transmission on my 03 Civic rebuilt. Any of you guys that have done the rebuild have any advice for someone thinking about it?

Did you need any specialty tools or have any particular problems? Will the Honda repair manual be all I should need for my "step by step" guide (I just ordered the Helms Manual)?

I know this is an old thread but hoping you guys are still around and can give some advice before I possibly attempt this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2012
Premium Member

i would recommend the actual green honda service manual not a haynes or helms.
Old 07-09-2012
Registered!!

Coop650 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old thread I know but I have a 2003 Civic EX vtec (not sure if that matters) and my trans went out back in March. It has just been sitting in the driveway since then. It acted just like a clutch went out of a manual and when the guy came to tow me home he said he could smell the burnt fluid/plates from a long way off.

I think I want to try rebuilding it. My question is I don't care about performance. Is there a kit that is just a basic rebuild kit and not a racing kit? A lot of the links in this thread are dead is why I ask.

Thanks!

-Mike
Old 07-09-2012
Premium Member

i think transtar makes an oem quality rebuild kit.
Old 02-08-2013
Registered!!

theteju is an unknown quantity at this point

This post tells me all the answer I need. I am facing the issue with transmission on my 2001 civic lx automatic.

I just want to know, as of today Feb 2013 what is recommended Quality rebuild kit available for my car on the market?
Old 03-28-2013
Registered!!

Brandonbjn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys I new to this site but I'm looking to buy a step by step guide to rebuild my 2001 Honda civic auto transmission. I found this site http://www.selffixer.com/cars/honda/...ice.Manual.htm and I was wondering if anyone new for sure if this is what I need? An answer ASAP would be great!
Old 04-07-2013
Registered!!

theteju is an unknown quantity at this point

PLease help me find the Rebuild kit.
Old 12-02-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

deleted

Last edited by Poopies; 12-02-2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Sorry, old thread :-/
Old 05-07-2014
Registered!!

Ineedamechanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dopes6070
I got the TCI kit and am about 30% done building the tranny. Here is a quick pic I took of the clutches and plates soaking in ATF.

I need this rebuild kit the service manual and the tranny cooler so where do I get all 3 of these items from and how much does each cost?
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I know this post is old but i have a 02 civic ex and the transmission is slipping. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on it? I see you recommended a kit that will make it last longer? I would really appreciate your help.

Originally Posted by gearbox
YES buy the master racing kit from tciauto.com for few hundred bucks and have a good shop rebuild the old one (add labor for rebuild and pulling off the trans plus reinstall). thats all you need! unless you are good with transmissions and can remove/take apart the old one and change the parts. use honda ATF to fill up the rebuilt trans and add an external filter (2001 civic HX CVT oem filter works great) and cooler (B&M supercooler) to really make it last forever.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Rebuild (pics)