Seat belts gone bad - 2nd post shows what safety items to replace after accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013
DoubleJJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DoubleJJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Seat belts gone bad - 2nd post shows what safety items to replace after accident

Got a 2004 Civic Si 3dr HB. Hit a tree, got car back together and Drivers side Front seat belt is locked and will not reel up or out. What all will have to be done to Get it working again? What parts need replacing? Computers reset? Help!!!
Old 02-28-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Seat belts gone bad

That's not "gone bad", that's "deployed" as in airbag type charges.

Contact your insurance company as this is accident related.
And it is not cheap.

Here is a list of items that must be replaced in the event of a seat belt tensioner deployment, C&P from Hondas service info:

After a collision where the seat belt tensioners deployed, replace these items:
  • Seat belt tensioners
  • Seat belt buckle tensioners
  • SRS unit
  • Front impact sensors

Yes, the buckles too. I'm pretty sure they also deployed, no matter if you can tell or not. If you skip it, the new control unit will know if they are deployed or not.

Did it blow any of the airbags? That makes a bigger list.

The new SRS control unit must be initialized after installation (for the OPDS system). Then any new SRS codes can be addressed if they come up, because it won't allow the initialization procedure until all codes are fixed.

HTH
Old 03-01-2013
DoubleJJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DoubleJJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there any way to know if the buckle tensioners are bad, Why does the control unit have to be replaced?
Old 03-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DoubleJJ
Is there any way to know if the buckle tensioners are bad,

Why does the control unit have to be replaced?
Yes. If you know what they are supposed to look like when good, you can tell if they have been deployed. Sometimes you have to see an identical car in order to tell though because there is only about a one inch difference when one has been deployed.

There MAY be codes in the SRS unit for the buckle charges, but a SRS control unit that has deployed charges is not always accurate when queried. I do this a lot for bodyshops here, and I know I can't trust them to be 100% accurate so I always write the disclaimer that codes must be rechecked after the new control unit is installed.

EDIT: I can trust the codes that are present, but I know there might be more that the unit was unable to display for whatever reason.
So if yours has buckle codes present, you can then be assured it needs them.

Once a control unit has fired (deployed) ANY of the SRS charges, it sets permanent codes that cannot be erased. You have to replace the SRS control unit to get rid of the light and the codes.

Read that list I posted earlier.
That list is from Hondas service info, that isn't something I dreamed up.
I do SRS work here, and I follow the recommended guidelines. I refuse to be involved in any lawsuit over some shortcut in procedures.

HTH